FS: APC Netshelter CX 24U (SOLD)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

czl

May 14, 2016
The good ones pull cool air in from near the floor, through filters, and exhaust hot air near the top and are designed everywhere else to be air tight. For best results you have to keep them closed and sealed as air leaks prevent this "cooling" mechanism working efficiently. Having the good ones in your living area may be ok during cold winter days -- free heat but hopefully you can wheel them over to garage or some other place in the summer -- to block sound they start heavy add hardware they are very heavy. Possibly you could vent the heat outside using ducts but it'd be an awkward setup and may need extra fans. Something else to keep in mind is the 3-4 fans in units like these (not sure about this specific model) eat 30W-90W 24x7 just to maintain the air flow (some are temp controlled some manual again not sure about this one) and if the power to those fans is ever disrupted but your hardware inside keeps running the temp inside will climb and climb till your hardware melts. Something else to keep in mind is that their fans can remove only so much heat (read the specs) so if the ambient temp gets high (ie. summer garage) or if you load it full of servers (more than their thermal removal capacity) you may get heat build up inside even with fans running on MAX. Again the temp inside will climb and climb till your hardware melts. (So even a single 4U 900W server may be all you can run at any one time inside a 12U or 24U cabinet) For the ones I'm familiar with -- and this varies greatly model to model -- the amount of sound leakage is comparable to sound coming from a fridge or dishwasher but harmonics are different.

I asked another vendor of soundproofed enclosures and I was told "the enclosures don't cool, they exhaust the hot air".
The cooling happens by dissipating the heat/energy in the surrounding air.

bubbagump00

Nov 13, 2017
Updated price to $3150 and now offering free delivery within 300 mile radius of Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bubbagump00

Nov 13, 2017
Updated price to $2800 plus offering $1300 Pak Mail freight shipping to any of the 48 contiguous US states. Otherwise I will deliver it within a 300 mile radius of Dallas for $200, or it can picked up locally for free.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
That's am excellent price for that rack but freight shipping kills it :(.

Have you tried posting in your local CL?

bubbagump00

Nov 13, 2017
Yes, I have it listed on CL and am in some discussions right now with local potential buyers. Definitely a niche market for these so I’ll just have to be patient. :)

bubbagump00

Nov 13, 2017
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback on the price and the encouragement.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
I recently bought and shipped a Netshelter CX at very low cost (shipping was $250 from Fresno, CA to N of San Francisco).

Shipping these units can be very expensive but it does not need to be too bad. My approach for quoting and arranging shipping (and a bunch of other considerations) is discussed in a separate thread here: Selecting, Finding, Shipping, and Installing a Silent Rack

Hope that post helps someone to find a practical solution to shipping a quiet rack - maybe even the one listed here.

bubbagump00

Nov 13, 2017
Thanks Dave, that is excellent information! If anyone is interested please contact me for a shipping quote.

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
I might be interested. Need to talk it over when I get home. As well as measure for the physical dimensions if it will fit. I have never seen one of these in person does it really cut the noise level dramatically or do you still hear the fan whirl?

bubbagump00

Nov 13, 2017
It does a great job with cutting high frequency fan noise in my opinion. The fans on the rack itself have a very low frequency dull hum. I actually think it is quite nice. It doesn’t cut out all the noise of louder servers, but it makes a dramatic reduction.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
The focus of the netshelter CX is to get the sound levels down to a level where it's acceptable in an office environment. Generally speaking it does a great job of this, although as mentioned some louder servers will still be heard although much quieter and there is some noise from the exhaust fans.

As long as you don't go in with expectations of a completely silent rack you'll likely be impressed.