FS 716322-081 24gb 3rx4 PC3L-10600R M393B3G70BV0-YH9Q3 $17.50

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
@Samir , if you do try these, please let us know how it turned out!
Will do! I sent a PM to the op about trying them out, but haven't heard back yet.

In my research on these and the r710, it seems the biggest issue will be the ranking, which would use up 6 ranks out of 8 when using 2x modules. This leaves 1 slot and 2 ranks left, which if you put in a 16GB module, would give you a total of 64GB and use up all 8 ranks, which would be the same as 2x 32GB 4R modules.

I'm definitely willing to try it out though because I can't afford 32GB modules. :D

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
In my research on these and the r710, it seems the biggest issue will be the ranking, which would use up 6 ranks out of 8 when using 2x modules. This leaves 1 slot and 2 ranks left, which if you put in a 16GB module, would give you a total of 64GB and use up all 8 ranks, which would be the same as 2x 32GB 4R modules.
A couple things about this that interest me:

The documentation in my Dell (R620) specifies that if a 4 Rank RDIMM is inserted, you can have only one other RDIMM per channel. You can't insert a third module even if you've got less than 8 total ranks populated. Assuming these work, would be good to know if all the slots can be populated, or if 3R has the same limitations as 4 Ranks.

Documentation on my Supermicro and Foxconn boards both specify that if a 4 Rank module is inserted, the system clocks the memory down to 800mhz, regardless of the memory's actual speed. Would be good to know if this operates at full speed or not.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
A couple things about this that interest me:

The documentation in my Dell (R620) specifies that if a 4 Rank RDIMM is inserted, you can have only one other RDIMM per channel. You can't insert a third module even if you've got less than 8 total ranks populated. Assuming these work, would be good to know if all the slots can be populated, or if 3R has the same limitations as 4 Ranks.

Documentation on my Supermicro and Foxconn boards both specify that if a 4 Rank module is inserted, the system clocks the memory down to 800mhz, regardless of the memory's actual speed. Would be good to know if this operates at full speed or not.
From what I have read in my r710 and r410 manuals, it looks like the clocking down and number of slots able to be used per bank is all dependent on available ranks.

As you use more ranks, the system will clock down the memory. As you use more ranks per slot, you have less slots available.

Reactions: Markess

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Okay, I'm going to be trying these out in my r710. I'm going to try putting in 2x modules in each bank which should still leave enough ranks to put a 2/4/8gb module in the 3rd memory socket of each bank. I'll post back with results after I get them and memtest them. :) And feel free to ask questions so I'll know what I need to check out during testing. :)

Reactions: Markess

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Okay, so preliminary results are that the system will power on, but not boot. I'm researching exactly what ranking and banking is on a module to better understand what the hangup may be.

So far from what I can tell, having 3 rank might be an issue for a single module installed in a bank of 3 slots, but having 2x modules should result in an even number of banks to be accessed--but that is dependent on if the 3r module register is being understood by the chipset/memory controller. With 2x modules, it should appear as 6r, which is a supported configuration, but maybe not if the 3r registers are not being recognized.

Any ideas appreciated.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The configurations I've tried are the following:
  • 24G 3rx4 in the first slot of each bank
  • 24G 3rx4 in the first slot of each bank and 24G 3rx4 in the second slot of each bank
  • 24G 3rx4 in the first slot of each bank and 24G 3rx4 in the second slot of each bank and 2GB 2rx8 modules in third slot of each bank
  • 24G 3rx4 in the first slot of bank 1 and 4 only (first bank on each cpu)
  • 24G 3rx4 in the first slot of bank 1 and 4 only (first bank on each cpu) and 24G 3rx4 in the second slot of bank 1 and 4 only
  • 24G 3rx4 in the first slot of bank 1 and 4 only (first bank on each cpu) and 24G 3rx4 in the second slot of bank 1 and 4 only and 4gb 2rx4 module in third slot of bank 1 and 4 only
I wish I had a 16GB 2rx4 modules to try in the third slot as each rank then would be precisely x4 and 8gb to the memory controller no matter what module it is on. This is the only scenario I know of as of right now that might have worked that I can't test.

Any ideas appreciated. I'm going to get back to it and see if there's anything else I can try.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I forgot I have some 16GBs in my R410. Time to shuffle some stuff around and do some more testing. :)

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I wish I had a 16GB 2rx4 modules to try in the third slot as each rank then would be precisely x4 and 8gb to the memory controller no matter what module it is on. This is the only scenario I know of as of right now that might have worked that I can't test.
I partially follow your reasoning, but not fully. I can't wrap my head around how two 24GB and one 16GB come out to x4 and 8GB. Keeping the Rank count to 8 is about all I understand, and that's because the manual says so. So, its good that you're testing this and not me ;). Don't feel the need to explain, I'm going to look it up next. (Edit: Okay, I understand now)

What if you used a single 8GB 1Rx4 with a single 24GB? That would give you 4 Ranks and 32GB across two slots.

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
(I already wrote this explanation and it will help me remember this stuff later anyways. :D)

So basically each rank is controlling a bank of memory on the module itself according to this:
Single-, dual-, and quad-rank DIMMs

And with that knowledge, effectively this 24GB module is like 3x 1rx4 8GB modules. The problem is that the memory controller, chipset, and cpu need to know how to deal with 3x ranks in a single module. It already knows how to deal with 3 ranks in a bank as 3x 8GB modules would do that. The key is I'm not sure if the system will recognize all the ranks and group them together for access or if it does need to know how to deal with each individual module, which we are not sure if anything outside of the HP machines these modules were originally in can do.

Your idea of the 8GB module with the 24GB is exactly what I'm trying to figure out using what I have. And luckily I remembered that I have 16GB 2rx4 modules in my r410, so I'm going to try 24GB, 24GB, 16GB in just banks 1 and 4 and see what happens. I think this is the only test left for me to try. :(

Reactions: Markess and melk

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Your idea of the 8GB module with the 24GB is exactly what I'm trying to figure out using what I have. And luckily I remembered that I have 16GB 2rx4 modules in my r410, so I'm going to try 24GB, 24GB, 16GB in just banks 1 and 4 and see what happens. I think this is the only test left for me to try. :(
Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering about the single 8GB module because of this information in the R710 Hardware Manual (there's similar language in my R620 manual as well):

-- a quad-rank memory module is installed, then only one other memory module can be added to that channel.
-- If quad-rank memory modules are mixed with single- or dual-rank modules, the quad-rank modules must be installed in the sockets with the white release levers.

One way to interpret this is that, in order to utilize 8 Ranks per bank, you can only occupy 2 slots. If you only have 1R,2R and 4R RDIMMs to work with, you can't get to 8 Ranks without at least one 4R RDIMM. But, with a 4R RDIMM installed, you can only use one other slot. You can't use two 2R RDIMMS to fill it out to 8 Ranks across 3 slots, you can only use a second 4R one.

So, might it be that eight ranks across 3 slots won't work, regardless of the distribution of ranks across the slots?

Of course...if you get it to work with two 24GB and one 16GB....then never mind!

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I saw that in the manual as well and it didn't make sense why you couldn't have 2x 1r modules with a 4r module in the first slot since you would still have a total of 8 ranks to work with.

But the way this limitation is written, if you have a 4r and then only add a 1r, you're limited to 5 ranks total because the 3rd slot can't be used.

So the two 24GB and one 16GB module so far hasn't worked, but I have to go check as I just rebooted it.

But if that doesn't work, I now have another test to try--one 24GB and one 2GB 2rx8 module.

And now that I've got my r410 ripped apart, :( I looked into it's handling of ranks and modules and it is definitely different than the r710, which I initially thought would be the same. So I'm going to test the 24GB modules in the r410 as well. :)

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
But if that doesn't work, I now have another test to try--one 24GB and one 2GB 2rx8 module.
If you wanted to keep it to the same chip architecture, you could try one of the 24GB and one of the 2Rx4 16GB sticks. For a total of 5Rx4 @8GB per rank, correct? Similar, in total at least, to one 4Rx4 32GB module and one 1Rx4 8GB module, a combination that I know works in my own Dell.

Yeah, the R410 is LGA 1366 isn't it? So triple channel memory? That will be a totally different thing. IIRC, the R410 was supposed to be "compact" (shorter depth), so it didn't have identical memory slots per channel to save space. Some channels only had one slot?

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
If you wanted to keep it to the same chip architecture, you could try one of the 24GB and one of the 2Rx4 16GB sticks. For a total of 5Rx4 @8GB per rank, correct? Similar, in total at least, to one 4Rx4 32GB module and one 1Rx4 8GB module, a combination that I know works in my own Dell.

Yeah, the R410 is LGA 1366 isn't it? So triple channel memory? That will be a totally different thing. IIRC, the R410 was supposed to be "compact" (shorter depth), so it didn't have identical memory slots per channel to save space. Some channels only had one slot?
Very good idea. I will try that combination in both the r710and r410.

The 24,24,16 test failed in the 710, and so far one and two 24GB in each channel on the r410 has also failed, and with an error message 'e2010', which is basically no memory installed. :(

I will try the 24gb + 16gb test in both the r710 and r410 and see what happens. I'm going to try loading up the r410 with up to four 24gb in each channel as it can take 32gb in each channel and see what happens. If nothing, then onto the 24gb + 16gb test.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
So in the R410. Channel 0 has 2 DIMM Slots, and channels 1 & 2 have only one slot each, for a total of 4 slots per CPU, right? So to put 24GB in each channel, you'd populate the first memory slot in each channel, skipping the second slot in channel one (the one with Black clips). So you populate only the three with white locking clips. If you populate all 4 slots, you'd actually be putting 48GB in Channel 0 and 24GB in Channel 1 and 24GB in Channel 2....at least I think so.

For the 24gb+16GB option, you can only do it in Channel 0, as that's the only channel with two DIMM slots (Socket 1 [White] and Socket 4 [Black])

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
So in the R410. Channel 0 has 2 DIMM Slots, and channels 1 & 2 have only one slot each, for a total of 4 slots per CPU, right? So to put 24GB in each channel, you'd populate the first memory slot in each channel, skipping the second slot in channel one (the one with Black clips). So you populate only the three with white locking clips. If you populate all 4 slots, you'd actually be putting 48GB in Channel 0 and 24GB in Channel 1 and 24GB in Channel 2....at least I think so.

For the 24gb+16GB option, you can only do it in Channel 0, as that's the only channel with two DIMM slots (Socket 1 [White] and Socket 4 [Black])
I just checked the manual and that is correct. Yep, that was my thought too on populating all the channels, but that's how the server will normally be populated for maximum memory too, so I was going to try the same.

I will try the 16gb + 24gb in channel 0 and see what happens. I'll go swap some parts and be back with the results!