FS: 30 x R410 servers $100, Dell Rack and 6 x SC200 Compellent enclosures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Xy1nj41HaOgf

Mar 11, 2021
I have 30+ poweredge R410s for sell. They all have 2xE5530, 16GB memory, Dell sas6, 2x1GB broadcom nics, 160GB WD sata and rails. $100 each/ OBO. Will discount for a volume purchase. They are in a nice dell rack that needs to go as well. I am in central MS. I'd prefer local pickup but will ship at cost. I will consider delivery for a large purchase for a fee.

I also have 6 Dell Compellent SC200, 2unit, 12 bay expansion enclosures. Each fully populated with 12 Dell Enterprise Plus Cheetah 15K 450 gb drives. Enclosures have 2 sas6 controllers and 2 x 80 plus® Silver certified, hot-swappable 700W power supplies. Dell implies that they require Storage Center 6.2 or greater. They do not. I'm using them with a Dell H200E flashed to LSI firmware. There are numerous examples of them working as jbod with other controllers. Google it. $600 each/ OBO.

Thank you,
Rick

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
When people try to sell servers this old, I usually tell them to strip them for parts, sell the RAM, SAS controller and potentially the sata disks.

The rest is borderline junk and you would probably get best value if you sold it to a metal dealer.

Rails and dell rack might be worth something to someone, provided they can be used with this gen servers - if not - old metal it is.

Reactions: richard.dzavoronok

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Sorry about the wrong forum, didn't notice. Thanks for the advice, Bjorn Smith.
All good, and if you don't want the hassle of piecemealing the servers, you can easily get $50/ea for them as they are still great starter servers. And then you can get something for the Dell rack too as long as it is <$200 (if it's a full 42u with all the doors etc).

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
As everyone is saying. These are way to old, even for starting a home lab. They cost storage space and eats Electric power. Not Worth 0 usd
This is completely false and is the same garbage that's touted on reddit homelabsales all the time. :mad: The cost is CapEx vs OpEx for newer vs older, but in the end it's the same cost except you can simply turn something off to reduce OpEx vs your CapEx is long gone.

Totally unintelligent blathering that puts working hardware into landfills versus people's hands that can learn from said working hardware.

Reactions: gabor and mrpasc

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
I am not convinced they actually consume more power than a modern server (1U's aren't particularly efficient regardless) but you can get an Optiplex or something similar for about the same price if all you are after is an educational experience.

The real problem is OP is trying to *sell* them for a fairly nontrivial amount of cash. Case in point: I can grab a R620 for $120 locally off eBay; for that money I get a decent CPU with an upgrade path to 2x12c, PCIe 3.0, quad NICs, 24 DIMM slots, and UEFI. For that money its hard to imagine any realities where you'd save the $20 and go with the R410.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
This is neither a short term or Long term investement. This is a waste of money and time
Like I said before, that's completely false and wrong. You cannot say that servers are a 'one size fits all' type of deal. And anyone worth their salt will see the financial benefits for older servers when starting out. They only get led astray by false statements like this.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I am not convinced they actually consume more power than a modern server (1U's aren't particularly efficient regardless) but you can get an Optiplex or something similar for about the same price if all you are after is an educational experience.

The real problem is OP is trying to *sell* them for a fairly nontrivial amount of cash. Case in point: I can grab a R620 for $120 locally off eBay; for that money I get a decent CPU with an upgrade path to 2x12c, PCIe 3.0, quad NICs, 24 DIMM slots, and UEFI. For that money its hard to imagine any realities where you'd save the $20 and go with the R410.
To a certain extent desktops can do the same thing on the software side of things, but to get used to the hardware, you do truly need the hardware. And it doesn't have to be the newest thing on the block since the concepts carry over even from 10 generations ago.

Yes, I don't disagree that at the current OP pricing, there isn't value when comparing to others out there. But when you consider getting something like this for $20 (which I have before), then suddenly there's a pretty big value since your CapEx is so little--and this is the point all the 'power police' people keep missing. Whether it's $20 for a server and $100 for power or $100 for a server and $20 for power, it's still $120 either way. But with a $100 server your sunk cost (CapEx) is much higher whereas having the bulk of your cost in a controllable OpEx (power) gives one the ability to curb costs and more get back your CapEx since there is less depreciation if this 'isn't the hobby you're looking for'. If you run one of these 24x7 full tilt then you're ready for an upgrade anyways as you've upper your skill set and can pass on the value to the next new labber.

In fact if you think about it, this whole hobby actually relies on the older equipment for us to play with even as cutting edge equipment would be much more power efficient; but that new stuff would cost so much that it would take decades of power savings to justify. And the same principle applies when you're staring out and just going to turn it on for a few hours a week to learn--no need to spend big when you're going to be using 5% cpu of an lga1366 or nearly 0% cpu on a new lga2011-3 v4--you won't see much of a power difference to justify the increased spend. This is the truth, and the real facts on the matter.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
To be truthful, there are far worse deals than this one on eBay. I'm always seeing listings that make me wonder what the seller is smoking.

• Love
Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
To be truthful, there are far worse deals than this one on eBay. I'm always seeing listings that make me wonder what the seller is smoking.
So true. And sometimes what is expensive for one may actually be cheap for another depending on the circumstances.

Reactions: Fritz

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
And the same principle applies when you're staring out and just going to turn it on for a few hours a week to learn--no need to spend big when you're going to be using 5% cpu of an lga1366 or nearly 0% cpu on a new lga2011-3 v4--you won't see much of a power difference to justify the increased spend. This is the truth, and the real facts on the matter.
I kind of agree, but older equipment uses more power even when idling than newer equipment.
So even if your statement that 5% of a LGA1366 vs 0% on a LGA2011-3 v4 is certainly true, you are missing the whole point of all the other stuff that takes up a lot of power in servers, i.e. IPMI/ILO/iDRAC, chipsets, HBA's and so forth - and piece by piece a "new" server idling can be running @ 50w while one of these older behemoths can be idling at 100w.

It is certainly true that if you only run it for a couple of hours every day, it should not matter much - my point when I replied to the post was to help OP get the most out of the old hardware - and I still think that stripping it for parts that can be used by newer gen hardware by hobbyist is a much better way to get the most out of it.

Also I think 100$ for a server this old is asking too much - even if some people are willing to pay it, when they start out. I have given server away with better similar CPU's for free, simply because they are too old to be asking much and why not just give some to someone just starting out.

These servers are so old that its even amazing that they can run, the CPU's was released in 2009.

Also I think its bad form to create a new user on a forum, and try to sell a stack of ancient servers. I doubt anyone in this forum would be interested in this and if OP had done his research he would have taken his "spam" elswhere.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I still have 2 old servers in my herd. One is a X8SIL-F and the other is a X9SCM-F. Both are strictly storage servers and serve no other purpose. Both are rarely fired up, 2 or 3 times a year for a couple of hours. Both are troublefree rocks. One is in a SC216 SFF chassis loaded with 450Gb SAS 10K drives and the other is in a Fractal Design R5 case. I may one day repurpose the latter but for now they have their use.