SOLD: 3 * Ruckus R720 wifi access points

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
NOW SOLD.

High end Ruckus Unleashed access point. No need for a Virtual or Physical controller with Unleashed firmware. Can be installed with Virtual smart zone if preferred. 6 months old as new condition with all accessories and manuals etc. $450 each inc shipping mainland US.

Attachments

Last edited:

james23

Nov 18, 2014
excellent APs, i have a few. APs dont get better than RUCKUS.

also you should mention that these can also be run with Ruckus's Standalone firmware as well (even all 3x in one place, each w SA firmware will provide better wifi/roaming than many higher end controller based systems from other MFGs). SA firmware= you get a direct web gui and ssh , on each ap.

(all ruckus firmwares and updates can be downloaded for free, except for vSZ which is their licensed, VM based, controller software)

FRPII

Dec 2, 2015
I'm surprised these haven't gained more attention. These APs are as close as you get to a wired connection over the air. I love mine

Reactions: Samir

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Thanks for the support guys. Having now used Ruckus there's little chance of me going back to my Ubqiuiti setup (everything up to SHDs) which just didn't have the range or throughput of these devices. I only tried Ruckus over a vacation out of curiosity to see what the difference was between a enterprise-lite Ubiquiti setup and a full enterprise level system. Theres very little comparison, and you are right I see close to wire speeds on these.

Reactions: dswartz and Samir

ewer0012

Feb 10, 2019
If I had the need and didn't already have an r700 I bought off of FRPII, I'd probably take two of these off of your hands. GLWS.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
wow, sorry guys, been away from the PC for a couple of days, yes, still available. They support unleashed firmware and I would be prepared to install prior to despatch if desired.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
ruckus-usleashed.jpg

Been slammed with work. Installed latest Unleashed firmware on all three. Ready to plug and go. Price dropped too.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Now $500 each delivered.
ideal for the unifi guys wanting to upgrade to the next level.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
lol at the ubiquiti comment..

ruckus is among the best (if not the best), when it comes to high quality wifi. (we have around 1k of ruk aps deployed).

r720 is a great AP, i have a r720 , r710 and a r600 running wifi for my home. (all are great, im running standalone).

fwiw- ruk aps in *standalone fw* handle client side roaming handoffs, better than most other ap brands in Controller mode/configs!
(ofcourse ruks in vSZ or ZD/unleashed handle roaming even better)

dont forget, these can be run in standalone mode as well (as opposed to unleashed, or full controller'd), if you have a need for that. even in standalone FW, out of the box, they have some QOS / DSCP rules in place.

edit- i should add, if you are looking for high speeds (ie 200m +) you should not be running ruk aps in gateway/router mode (ie have them as bridges, not as doing routing/nat)

sth

Oct 29, 2015
:-D Thanks James!
I honestly didn't expect much of an upgrade over the Unifi SHDs I was running prior but these shocked me how much better they were, roaming handoffs just worked, my troublesome reception spots in the garden were eliminated and my throughput increased so I was clearly wrong. I get there not exactly cheap access points but its less than half what I paid for them so I think they are a relative bargain at this price.
I'm also happy to support with guidance on optimal install and configuration for the buyer if needed. Also have site survey hardware I would be open to loaning against a reasonable deposit to help buyer optimize etc.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
lol at the ubiquiti comment..

ruckus is among the best (if not the best), when it comes to high quality wifi. (we have around 1k of ruk aps deployed).

r720 is a great AP, i have a r720 , r710 and a r600 running wifi for my home. (all are great, im running standalone).

fwiw- ruk aps in *standalone fw* handle client side roaming handoffs, better than most other ap brands in Controller mode/configs!
(ofcourse ruks in vSZ or ZD/unleashed handle roaming even better)

dont forget, these can be run in standalone mode as well (as opposed to unleashed, or full controller'd), if you have a need for that. even in standalone FW, out of the box, they have some QOS / DSCP rules in place.

edit- i should add, if you are looking for high speeds (ie 200m +) you should not be running ruk aps in gateway/router mode (ie have them as bridges, not as doing routing/nat)
james23.. I have 2 ruckus R720 APs running the Unleashed software. Where is the option located to run these in a bridge mode?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
:-D Thanks James!
I honestly didn't expect much of an upgrade over the Unifi SHDs I was running prior but these shocked me how much better they were, roaming handoffs just worked, my troublesome reception spots in the garden were eliminated and my throughput increased so I was clearly wrong. I get there not exactly cheap access points but its less than half what I paid for them so I think they are a relative bargain at this price.
I'm also happy to support with guidance on optimal install and configuration for the buyer if needed. Also have site survey hardware I would be open to loaning against a reasonable deposit to help buyer optimize etc.
Just curious.. What site survey hardware is best to optimize the install and configuration of the R720 APs?

sth

Oct 29, 2015
best is subjective like with most software but I use a combination of Chanalyzer, Net Spot Pro and Wifi Explorer Pro with my WiSpy DBX.

It's been possible to identify optimal positions for each access point and also discover the source of a particular 2.4Ghz interference that the wife stealth introduced with some insect repellant hardware.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Just curious, would single of these bad boys could deliver good wifi experience in about 3k sqft wooden/sheetrock construction home.
Assuming it was installed near the 3D center.
I don't expect much but hope to get at least 50mbps in the worst reception locations.

Reactions: Samir

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I think you’ll do better with Ruckus’s beam implementation but 3k ft would be a stretch for any WiFi AP, esp with 5ghz. Having said that your speed requirements aren’t that high so it could work.