[FS] 2xHP EC200a Xeon D-1518 mini servers + 4x32GB PC4-2666 RDIMM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Senses3

May 11, 2013
Hello all

So I decided to retire my two node ec200a cluster in favor of minimicro nodes with real GPUs. I have been running these as my main storage cluster but recently moved all my disks back into one system. These were bought locally from the same guy that was (is) selling a bunch of them on ebay. Best part is, one of them has the 4x1Gbe expansion board. Bad part is, one of them has a dying GPU, but still functions fine headless.

Firmware and iLO4 have been updated to the latest versions I could find. Neither systems come with memory or any storage. As a lot of you may know, these do not come with the HDD caddies, but I ran them for about a year with the drives just sitting in the chassis. It was fine as long as you don't move them around much.

For the system with the network expansion board, I'm asking $275

For the system with the dying GPU, I'm asking $125

As for the memory, it's HP OEM SK-Hynix and Samsung, two sticks of each. All is PC4-2666 ECC RDIMM. Ran these in the system and they worked perfectly. I'm asking $120/stick.

I prefer local cash (I'm in NE Ohio) but will ship if we figure out a good way to avoid those damn Paypal fees.

Here's some pics
IMG_20210802_160824.jpg
IMG_20210802_160639.jpg

IMG_20210802_160657.jpgIMG_20210802_160843.jpg

ec200a_0-1.png
ec200a_1-0.png

ec200a_1-1.png

In this pic you can see the green artifacting in the video. It flickers around as it loads. I believe this is a common issue with these systems.
ec200a_2-vid.png

IMG_20210802_161125.jpg
IMG_20210802_161134.jpg

Reactions: Samir

koyetsu

Feb 28, 2021
i want the 4 port nic/comm board but don't need another of those servers...have 3. can't find the comm boards anywhere at a reasonable price. i haven't seen one for less than double what i paid for the server...

Senses3

May 11, 2013
I was really hoping to keep the nic with the server. what do you consider a reasonable price?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Were you ever able to source drive caddies for them? Also, the iLO is fine for remote access, though, right?

Senses3

May 11, 2013
Were you ever able to source drive caddies for them? Also, the iLO is fine for remote access, though, right?
Nope, I assume the majority of those caddies were destroyed with the drives with this big lot that hit ebay. I suspect the remaining drive caddies in existence are still being used for systems in production environments

iLO still works fine, but the remote console is just as buggy as if you were on VGA. You may have to install whatever OS you're going to use on a different system and swap the drive into the buggy one if you can't do it through the console.

koyetsu

Feb 28, 2021
I was really hoping to keep the nic with the server. what do you consider a reasonable price?
Not sure but keep it with it, i just haven't see the NIC for less than like $250 and i only paid like 140 for my ec200a's. The nic would just let me turn 1 of them into a pfsense box cause i need 3 nics and those only have 2. wasn't trying to get you to sell the nic just pointing out they are HARD to come by.

Reactions: Samir and Senses3

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Nope, I assume the majority of those caddies were destroyed with the drives with this big lot that hit ebay. I suspect the remaining drive caddies in existence are still being used for systems in production environments

iLO still works fine, but the remote console is just as buggy as if you were on VGA. You may have to install whatever OS you're going to use on a different system and swap the drive into the buggy one if you can't do it through the console.
Hm...have you tried putting a Pi4 heatsink on the iLO and see if the issue goes away? HPe kinda screwed the pooch sticking the iLO chip right underneath the 2 big rust spinners and not give them decent airflow. But still, 125 is a bargain - the original seller pushed the prices up on the remaining EC200a to 200, which made them much less appealing.

Reactions: Samir and Senses3

Senses3

May 11, 2013
Hm...have you tried putting a Pi4 heatsink on the iLO and see if the issue goes away? HPe kinda screwed the pooch sticking the iLO chip right underneath the 2 big rust spinners and not give them decent airflow. But still, 125 is a bargain - the original seller pushed the prices up on the remaining EC200a to 200, which made them much less appealing.

oooh no I haven't tried that. I have a few heatsinks laying around I may give it a shot. thanks.

Senses3

May 11, 2013
Not sure but keep it with it, i just haven't see the NIC for less than like $250 and i only paid like 140 for my ec200a's. The nic would just let me turn 1 of them into a pfsense box cause i need 3 nics and those only have 2. wasn't trying to get you to sell the nic just pointing out they are HARD to come by.
I really wish I bought another one when I got it. I think there were like 3 left.

Also, shouldn't there be a way to share the iLO nic with the host OS? I never looked into it but if you only need 3 nics then maybe that could be a solution for you.

koyetsu

Feb 28, 2021
I really wish I bought another one when I got it. I think there were like 3 left.

Also, shouldn't there be a way to share the iLO nic with the host OS? I never looked into it but if you only need 3 nics then maybe that could be a solution for you.
On full up servers yes you can assign the ilo to be shared with another nic but it doesn't make the ilo port avail to OS and on these you can't even do that.
I could use a trick with managed switch and vlans but that is too much effort

dashpuppy

Dec 16, 2018
I might be interested in this, it should run Pfsense on the m.2 slot with supported network cards yes ?