FS: 20 Packs of 16TB and 18TB drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
$200 for a 16TB drive would be significantly cheaper than it was before chia. Heck the best sale prices on usb drives in the 14TB size were only in that range.
a) The drives aren't coming directly from a major reseller, just a random dude on the internet.
b) Even if drives are new/sealed as described the still a chance they were used.
c) Warranty of drives may or may not cover if drives resold.
So price is reduced to the point I feel somewhat comfortable with the risk in points above.

Last edited:

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
I agree with most of what you said and think the same way many times, but a shucked usb drive is also out of warranty (hence why I consider them somewhat equivalent to a white label drive without warranty). And yea, you aren't going to pay me the same price as newegg for a usb drive, but I'm also not going to sell it to you for a loss either when I can use it. If I have drives that I don't need right now and others need drives and I can sell for less than the market but still make a profit, I will. people can choose that its not worth the risk to them or find an even cheaper place.

But yes, I understand the pain as well. I once bought a usb drive on ebay, only for it to not work, was stupid, sent it into WD only to be told by them that it was counterfeit of some sort. ebay/paypal refunded my money but I lost because I was further stupid and did an advance exchange.

when I called the shop that sold it to me, the guy just hung up on me when I told him what WD said.

I was also further stupid, as it in retrospect was obviously resealed (not the circular seals they use). lesson learned about that, order something on ebay, have any single doubt, return it. but I'm lucky to be able to say for many of these stupid mistakes "it's only money".

Reactions: Sleyk and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The drives I have up have full warranty. I want to clarify that I have factory sealed 20 packs.
A lot of times even sealed packs won't have the full warranty as the serial number was designated for oem distribution or some other restriction. I'd pull out one drive and run the serial and post a screenshot of the warranty details for peace of mind for the buyer as this is a heavy investment. :)

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
A lot of times even sealed packs won't have the full warranty as the serial number was designated for oem distribution or some other restriction. I'd pull out one drive and run the serial and post a screenshot of the warranty details for peace of mind for the buyer as this is a heavy investment. :)
I'd assume he'd give the buyer all the the serials in private before the sale is done. buyer would verify warranty on all drives and verify serials on receipt match. at least that's what I'd do. for 40 drives, its a reasonable price per drive at today's prices.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I'd assume he'd give the buyer all the the serials in private before the sale is done. buyer would verify warranty on all drives and verify serials on receipt match. at least that's what I'd do. for 40 drives, its a reasonable price per drive at today's prices.
Yeah, that's a pretty good way to do it too, although seeing the validated warranty in the fs post encourages a buyer. ;)

Reactions: Fritz