FS: 2 x Toshiba MD04ACA500 5TB SATA-3 drives. 2 x Toshiba HDWN160 6TB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

madbrain

Jan 5, 2019
I tested both 5TB just a week ago with h2testw . This tool fills the entire disk, hashes the content, then reads it back and verifies the hash. All came out good.
Smartctl shows no reallocated sectors. These drives have very low hours - 700 and 455 respectively. They have been use mostly as backup drives in external enclosures, or hotswap drive bays. I have never experience any problem with either one.

That said, I just looked at the SMART data before making this post. For some unknown reason, SMART shows 10.5 hours over temperature for one drive, and 13.5 hours over temperature for the other. The highest temp ever reached is 59C on both, while maximum operating is supposed to be 55C according to SMART. I think Toshiba might be a bit conservative in this case with the max temperature info in SMART. These drives still work fine.

There are also some ATA errors in the SMART error log for each. 305 errors for one drive, and 38 for the other. I have no idea why.

No warranty left on either drive.

I'm asking $59 for each, or $99 for the pair.

Will ship to US or Canada via USPS priority at cost. Payment by Paypal or Google Pay.

toshiba-5tb-1.png
toshiba-5tb-2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

madbrain

Jan 5, 2019
Also have a pair of 6TB that I recently tested, model HDWN160 . One passed the h2testw test . One failed.
If you buy the one that passed the test, you also get the one that failed for free. Maybe you can use it successfully at a lower capacity.

Unfortunately, Smartctl / smartmontools doesn't know how to decode the info for this type of drive properly. Reported hours are way too high, 9045 hours for one drive. This is off by at least an order of magnitude. Both drives were used only temporarily as backup drives in external enclosures or hotswap trays, and were powered off the vast majority of the time.

$79 for the known good drive, second one comes free. Same payment/shipping terms as above for the 5TB drives.
No warranty left on either.
Actually there are a few months of warranty left on both. Not true if it's transferrable. Good drive was purchased 9/24/2017 from Fry's. The receipt doesn't show a serial number.
Bad drive was purchased 10/24/2017 from Fry's also. The receipt does show the serial number.

Stats for the known good drive :

toshiba-6tb-1.png
toshiba-6tb-1.1.png

Last edited:

madbrain

Jan 5, 2019
Stats for the 6TB drive that failed h2testw. Free with purchase of the known good one. Amazingly, the drive still passes both the short SMART test, and the 11 hour extended SMART test.

When it failed with h2testw, it did so during the write phase, not the read/verification pass.
I'm not sure when SMART test can pass when application detects a write error. Maybe this is really one for Toshiba firmware engineers to debug ...

toshiba-6tb-2.png
toshiba-6tb-2.1.png
toshiba-6tb-2.2.png

Reactions: Samir