FS: 1.6, 3.84, 7.68TB, 15.36 TB SSDs, SAS, SATA & NVMe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Cleaned up, here's what i have left for now more or less, just testing a few more SAS drives after which they will be put up as well.

Reactions: Samir

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I'll take one of the HGST Ultrastar SN200 7.68TB, together with a PCIe adapter. Shipped to Germany.
Is this the one with issues ?
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/is-my-nvme-ssd-faulty.28003/

@Indecided Do you happen to know - there used to be Read and Write optimized HGST SSDs - now the only difference (beyond speed) are the size and dwpd values.
Can those be converted by providing additional overprovisioning? I.e. if I take one of your 7.68's and overprovision to 6.4 GB) would they provide higher write performance?

Last edited:

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I really didn't want to discuss this in the sales thread, because indecided has been eager to help me out. But yes, that's the one.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Yep - one of our first batches. We've been through about 4 dozen SN200s specifically so far and this is the first one we've seen this behavior on. We've deleted and re-created the namespaces, done a clean nvme format and will observe.

I had my initial suspicions on temperature (although it didn't go past the breakpoint) as there was no forced airflow over the drive and was just convection-cooled. In our labs we've observed the drives sit idle without fans at 50+celcius and under load can go up to 70+. Anyhow, Alex has gotten some airflow onto the drive and he'll observe, otherwise we'll probably try to swap out the drive before the end of the month.

@Indecided Do you happen to know - there used to be Read and Write optimized HGST SSDs - now the only difference (beyond speed) are the size and dwpd values.
Can those be converted by providing additional overprovisioning? I.e. if I take one of your 7.68's and overprovision to 6.4 GB) would they provide higher write performance?
Technically there are still write optimized SSDs available from an endurance perspective. Speedwise i'm no expert on this since we mostly deal with mid-end drives, but to answer your question - from my understanding with SSDs, further overprovisioning may increase endurance but the measurement of any performance increase is negligble/on a case-by-case basis depending on the controller/firmware/etc.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ok thanks.
Had hoped they might just differ in the overprovisoning which would have made it easy to speed them up as the difference is significant between the 1 and 3 DWPD version.

Cixelyn

Researcher
Nov 7, 2018
San Francisco
Just to give our (positive) experience and bump the thread: we bought two SN200s a few weeks ago from Indecided and have been running them in a testlab now for about a week with no issues so far!

Considering getting a few more once I figure out our NVME chassis situation.

Apr 15, 2020
Beijing,China
I'm clearing out some of our SSDs to make way for some new equipment in my test and design labs.

$800 - 11x HGST Ultrastar SN200 7.68TB - NVME U.2 - Used - power on for 1 day to 8 Months respectively, between 0 to 43 Drive Writes respectively, 99-100% health (max 1% use), rated at 1 DWPD for 5 years (1825DW)

$1200 - 3x Toshiba KPM5X 15.36TB - SAS3 - "Open Box" - power on for ~ 1 Month, between 4 - 8 Drive Writes, rated at 1 DWPD for 5 years (1825DW)

$700 - 4x Toshiba KPM5X 7.68TB - SAS3 - "Open Box" - power on for ~ 1-2 Months, between 5 - 30 Drive Writes, rated at 1 DWPD for 5 years (1825DW)

Payment via PayPal.

All prices are shipped within the US excluding AK,APO,FPO,PO Box (HI should be fine for MOST zips), via UPS Saver.

Will ship to most parts of Asia & Europe, please inquire if interested.