Fried my HP40L microserver - how can I access my raidz2 array?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ghuber

Jun 10, 2018
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong group, but I think HDDs does not fit either...

I have recently moved from my HP40NL microserver (running FreeBSD 13.1) to a rack mounted server (also running FreeBSD 13.1).

Today, when I unpluged my old HPE server from the UPS in order to hookup the new server to the UPS, I seem to have "fried" the HPE, as I can no longer turn it on. When I hit the power button, no LEDs shine or flash, the HDDs don't start and the fan does not turn.

I suspect, that I short-circuited the HPE's PSU.

While this is not a tragedy, since I wanted to retire it anyway, I would like to access the data stored on the 4 HDDs. The HDDs are attached to an IBM1015 controller and the server uses ZFS. The HDDs are in a RaidZ-2 array (4 6TB Hitachi drives).

Is there a way I could hookup these drives to the "new" server and import the RaidZ-2 array into the "new" server in order to copy the remaining files? First I thought about buying an external HDD case but I am not sure whether this will work, since these cases have normal SATA ports and I would probably breakup the array, right?

The other option I thought about, is to hook up 4 HDDs to the IBM1015 controller in the new server, but for this I would need some sort of "external SATA power". My new server's PSU unfortunately will not support further drives.

Do you have any tips or suggestions, how I could access the old data, without having to invest into new hardware heavily, for "a few old files"?

Many thanks for your help!

Georg

ghuber

Jun 10, 2018
Yes, you can. Connect the drives to another machine running zfs, and import the zfs pool from the disks.
Many thanks, but you are one step ahead :) I know the zfs import command, my problem is more "hardware related" (ie how do I hook-up the four drives to the new server?). Can I just hook-up the drive to an external hdd-cage and hook-up that cage to the zfs machine via usb3.0? Or would I have to simultaneously hook-up each drive to a SATA port in the new machine in order for ZFS to recognize the pool?

Thanks again

Georg

ghuber

Jun 10, 2018
Ah, cool, thanks. So ZFS will recognize the pool as a "pool" despite it being connected via USB instead of SATA/SAS?

Thanks Georg!

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
IF you go with the Non-Raid version, it should present individual drives to the system. That should be enough to import the pool, but I'm not 100% sure. This is why I said buy something you could return.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
This is why I said buy something you could return.
- OFF TOPIC START
Wow, I am kind of sorry to budge in - that is disgusting in my opinion - buying stuff, use it, and then return it to seller.

That is not what returns should be used for - it should be used if you changed your mind and have not already used the product you bought.

I am well aware that many people do this, but to actually suggest it to another person is just beyond excuse (again in my opinion) - and I only have pity for people that actually do that, you are abusing a system meant to make it easier for buyers to buy something and change their minds - not meant so people can buy stuff, use it, and then return it.

If that is what you want, you should rent something.

Since that is effectively what you are forcing down the throat of the seller, returning a product they no longer should or could sell as a new item.

If you feel its okay to buy stuff, use it and return it - you life in a different world that I do and I hope we never meet in real life.

P.S. Sorry to all you others reading this, but this kind of abusive behavior really pisses me off.
- OFF TOPIC END

• Haha
Reactions: BoredSysadmin