Frenetic SDN is it synergistic with OFED ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

talis

Sep 30, 2017
All these SDN frameworks are a head spin .. can anyone throw light on Frenetic , does it interfere with OFED , like many javascript tools competing for the same end result ?

OpenFlow (frenetic.Frenetic.OpenFlow)

Is there resource contention .. in a Mellanox environ .. Mell usually discards 3rd party dependencies on an install.. where does the SDN bus stop ? One difficult area is in cluster aware deployment .. does Intels integration of MPI interoperate with Frenetic and OFED ? Any suggestions ?

http://www.hpcadvisorycouncil.com/pdf/CP2K_Best_Practices.pdf

talis

Sep 30, 2017
Great news .. Thank U , shall focus on Frenetic / unless MPI has advanced message segmentation at the byte level that supercedes Fr.. its hard to choose from a glut of tools made available .. particularly when one reads a Mellanox Linux OFED install wipes the slate clean to install IB drivers & libraries one has no idea may work with PF_ring or cause instability .. PF_ring has its own installer offering great features (but at what overhead or sacrifice to X3 stability low level tools like Frenetic ?

there is no mention to borrowing from PF_ring (but much from OpenFlow) are these different camp competing ie commercial NTOP

we force the programmer to reason how to compose ''the size of table, space for rules , like register allocation in assembly" thats OK , Frenetic proposes to abstract the switch by API to allow higher level access network functionality .. to process events / direct packets .. what sort of abstraction allows this across many different vendors ? does it scan each switch to provide a resource list specific to each switch , that is the only approach, like running a firmware change must also show that change

it does appear to apply policy to the network , when u try to do that on ConnectX there is going to be a priority contention for some runtime rules, esp statistic reporting or where is 1st packet is directed , is it going to the device controller or ConnectX ASIC
then we have bugs . contentions. caused by callbacks in Frenetic SQL commands.How do other modules affect this( obvious loads up the CPU ) as this is command runtime

I want to know all library dependency and list as kept in cache, how they interact with OFED IB tools and Aopen binaries that FreeBSD is said must continue to interoperate via XFree86,, this level of detail is a must, Aopen and ELF cache must be replaced.

If im going to use Frenetic, i am happy to define specific resources for the X3 card and managed switch , yet Frenetic abstracts this to avail a vendor agnostic program model, i want specific switch features available at the low level ,, it appears Frenetic dodges this by abstraction ..

typically a OFED Linux install begins with OpenSM .. i dont want to run OpenSM with a managed switch , but it says each IB node must have openSM running ,, not very enlightening .. (not asking for walkthru, only better links to running a managed Sw instead of openSM in testing IB on startup (sure this is a small thing , but so many small things (lazy feature obsessed techies) create a nightmare , im not saying the Prof is lazy i shal email her after i compare PF_ring .. on how quickly she apologized for fabrics having limited resources (table size, etc) and the register assignment like approach in dealing with low level .. the promise of modifying packet flow must be at that level or we get an adhoc approach..

Choose a Subnet Manager
Each infiniband network requires a subnet manager. You can choose to run the OFED opensm subnet manager on one of the Linux clients, *or you may choose to use an embedded subnet manager running on one of the switches in your fabric. Note that not all switches come with a subnet manager; check your switch documentation. * leaving out how to run a managed switch

Load the kernel modules , what happens when new modules overlap?
Infiniband kernel modules are not loaded automatically. You should adding them to /etc/modules so that they are automatically loaded on machine bootup. You will need to include the hardware specific modules and the protocol modules.

/etc/modules:

# Hardware drivers
# Choose the apropriate modules from
# /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/updates/kernel/drivers/infiniband/hw
#
#mlx4_ib # Mellanox ConnectX cards
#ib_mthca # some mellanox cards
#iw_cxgb3 # Chelsio T3 cards
#iw_nes # NetEffect cards
#
# Protocol modules
# Common modules
rdma_ucm
ib_umad
ib_uverbs
# IP over IB
ib_ipoib
# scsi over IB
ib_srp
# IB SDP protocol
ib_sdp
it says optional ,, but does not provide the alt option , staging openSM ..

(optional) Start opensm
If you are going to use the opensm suetnet manager, edit /etc/default/opensm and add the port GUIDs of the interfaces on which you wish to start opensm.

You can find the port GUIDs of your cards with the ibstat -p command:

# ibstat -p
0x0002c9030002fb05
0x0002c9030002fb06

/etc/default/opensm:

PORTS="0x0002c9030002fb05 0x0002c9030002fb06"

Note if you want to start opensm on all ports you can use the PORTS="ALL" keyword.

Start opensm:

#/etc/init.d/opensm start

If opensm has started correctly you should see SUBNET UP messages in the opensm logfile (/var/log/opensm.<PORTID>.log).

Mar 04 14:56:06 600685 [4580A960] 0x02 -> SUBNET UP

Note that you can start opensm on multiple nodes; one node will be the active subnet manager and the others will put themselves into standby. How to start it on the managed switch ?

And whats wrong with low-level ? a packet is a packet no matter where until its wrapped in a transport layer .. or trunced by endian reformat, *where does this happen ? why is it not at wirespeed in the adapter ? rather than in a cache binary ? can this be replaced specifically to format in the adapter , its a real nuisance im sure IB / RDMA > RoCE encapsulation is in the X3 ASIC

AS prof states Frenetic has simple abstraction on the data plane " direct control of the underlying switch element rather than baroque mechanisms alternatively offered "

direct control is a minimal demand, what's lacking are atomic logic operators and index handlers on a per context basis .. Jen is a proficient speaker but demonstrates a black box rule based network traffic inspection modular environ ,, showing the issue of the packet reaching the switch before the rules (the example trnsitions between policy 1 or 2 and not bits of each .. the per packet update is curious, i guess i leave some questions on the utube clip.. Many questions unanswered.

Last edited:

talis

Sep 30, 2017
i left electronics 25 years ago over Patent Wars.. to study med..at least learning how to extend telemeres not spaghetti code.. Now i have IP on med, to sink a carrier, im faced with the same dilemma. That human element of greed, corruption and deceit.
GCD the father of GFC .. all woes to follow. Let a monkey kiss the sky and the human Wars rearrange the planet and any semblance of reality friendship with it, replacing it with profit.
Who cant be bought ? Political stage is a joke.. Life is a Lie.

In programming circles, walls are built between camps with hardnose attitudes best described by "pdp" in bradys blog : Node.js is not a cancer, you are just a moron – Brady's Blog i fully agree with pdp, yet maintain strong positions against the glut of abstractors who slowly decay in a growing heap
.. exactly agree with pdp's exact words " ..we don't need more of the same old crap. we don't need more bandaid and hacks. what we need is proper language design from the start. what we need is radical change and improvement. "

The solution is in a completely new abstraction of data structures, while keeping each stack as independent as possible. Obviously the RISC load / store architecture has failed in this area. Multiple cores go a fair way to smooth the load / store bump (16 zero overhead context changes in a 16 core cluster) even better in a Harvard PIC32 thanks to mirror registers .. yet most programmers cant access code that has any structural low level priority .. that's all left to the compiler..

In some respect the high level structures offered by Clojure ..but crumles in continuation-passing .. as they say " u never see an array " how the heck can programmers mistreat their data .. THEY DO SO with abandon : with excuse :
" The things Clojure mutates internally are small, newly allocated arrays that constitute the internal nodes of its data structures. No one ever sees the arrays.. Clojure - Transient Data Structures

HMC with support PGA kernel fabric breaking new ground .. when will functional programming sufficiently abstract stack segmentation into ordered array processing , such as high end libraries practice for kNN .. ALL links to such architecture welcome.. as would a framework list and such installation ordering of dependencies (at the lowest levels) Do PF_ring driver binaries clash with Frenetic (they dont use a common set of i/O drivers , and neither does ConnectX , and neither does Linux / BSD
SO the first thing to do is standardize a fast set ( but thats architecture dependent).. thus we have our 3rd party add-ons.. Who's going to help rip the Aopen and ELF binaries out of BSD ?

'In light of Node’s stated design goal of making it easy for non-expert programmers to build fast concurrent network programs, I believe this attitude to be counterproductive. Promises make it easier to construct correct, maximally concurrent programs by making control-flow something for the runtime to figure out, rather than something the user has to explicitly implement.

Writing correct concurrent programs basically comes down achieving as much concurrent work as you can while making sure operations still happen in the correct order. Although JavaScript is single threaded, we still get race conditions due to asynchrony: any action that involves I/O can yield CPU time to other actions while it waits for callbacks. Multiple concurrent actions can access the same in-memory data, or carry out overlapping sequences of commands against a database or the DOM. As I hope to show in this article, promises provide a way to describe problems using interdependencies between values, like in Excel, so that your tools can correctly optimize the solution for you, instead of you having to figure out control flow for yourself.

I hope to dismiss the misunderstanding that promises are about having cleaner syntax for callback-based async work. They are about modeling your problem in a fundamentally different way; they go deeper than syntax and actually change the way you solve problems at a semantic level.'

and yes i am aware Promises have been added to the latest ECMA spec … but after how many freakin' years? 15+? it's not like we didn't have better tools in all this time.

anyhow, my personal gripe is with all those JS apologists like Crockford et al because instead of being a positive force for change, all they did is try to maintain the status quo and in effect prevent change.

we don't need more of the same old crap. we don't need more bandaid and hacks. what we need is proper language design from the start. what we need is radical change and improvement.

Google Dart tries to do that. Clojure and Clojurescript do that brilliantly. Haxe is another option and crossplatform to boot.

JS is like a patient with multiple organ failures that has been in a coma for 15 years+ and whom the doctor continuously tries to resuscitate with more blood transfusions and body part replacements (that would be the tacking on of new features such as Promise) that the immune system keeps rejecting until the whole organism is not even human anymore and about to die a slow protracted death. enough already.."

could not agree more.. those that dont think this way, are stuck in dependency hell : no matter how many immutable objects u throw at it ..

Last edited: