Freight forwarding services to Australia

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

imchipz

Apr 18, 2016
I havent found anything good. Shipping motherboards (1-2kg shipping weight) gets me quotes of 100 USD. 1U servers Got quoted 200-300 USD. 2Us gave me 450 USD . All from different vendors

imchipz

Apr 18, 2016
Example: Large Package, weight 35 lb 0 oz (15.876 kg) to Australia was 497USD via United States Postal Service

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Before I heard of Shipito. I contacted FedEx directly to ship a Dell C6100 2U server (very heavy) and was charged over AU$600.

I think size of package also counts in determining costs (as to what volume of space they take up).
And oversized boxes can be expensive too. I had 3 x MB in a box (20" high) which I split into 3 boxes (about 7" high) and saved $50.
Further savings if I send multiple boxes together.

Whilst motherboards can be light, they can take up a lot of space. And servers can be heavy and expensive. Generally I find USPS to be very expensive. Did you try 'Shipito Preferred Carrier to Australia'?

Otherwise shipping (by sea) may be cheaper but take longer, though I have not explored this option.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
FYI. I just requested shipping two Natex dual E5-2670 motherboards in combined shipping (shipped together in separate boxes), packages are 17.00"x13.00"x9.00" 4.4 lb & 17.00"x13.00"x7.50" 4.5 lb.

Total shipping costs for both to Australia with TNT Express through 'Shipito" is $130.86

canta

Nov 26, 2014
just my experience:
I know shipito is a good "budget $" forwarder to Southeast Asia, especially to Indonesia.
the only issue is custom duties and taxes in Indonesia is outrageous, if you do not know insider.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
FYI.

My understanding is that if goods + freight to Australia exceeds AU$1000 then GST is payable plus about AU$40 freight handler's fee.

slatfats

Nov 3, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
FYI. I just requested shipping two Natex dual E5-2670 motherboards in combined shipping (shipped together in separate boxes), packages are 17.00"x13.00"x9.00" 4.4 lb & 17.00"x13.00"x7.50" 4.5 lb.

Total shipping costs for both to Australia with TNT Express through 'Shipito" is $130.86
To clarify - shipping through Shipito is USD$65 each? I'm looking at getting one of these but Natex quoted USD$100 shipping.

slatfats

Nov 3, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I've found with Shipito that TNT are often cheapest and it's a courier service - so your goods arrive incredibly quickly (a single-digit number of days from the US). USPS is a regular postal service, which then hooks into the Australia Post system once it arrives in Australia. This can be slower, but there can be some savings there if you don't necessarily need your goods quickly.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
To clarify - shipping through Shipito is USD$65 each? I'm looking at getting one of these but Natex quoted USD$100 shipping.
I have one remaining Natex motherboard (no ram or CPU) to ship to Australia, shipping costs per my account is: Shipito Preferred Carrier with Australia Post $56.69 + $3.50 insurance & TNT Express $86.41. This may include 5% discount I have on my account. Package dimensions: 17" x 13" x 7".

NB. To send with Shipito Preferred Carrier with Australia Post you need Natex to email you a 'Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) which you will need to upload to Shipito when sending goods. As motherboard will have a lithium battery, unless you ask Natex to remove battery

imchipz

Apr 18, 2016
Tried to price out a 1U server from natex, 34x26x11 inches, 35 lbs .
Quote from USPS again 459.
Lowest quote from shipipto 230 (unsure if USD or AUD).

Unfortunately I am finding shipping to be cost prohibitive. Has anyone had better luck? Looking for dual 2011 xeon build

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Tried to price out a 1U server from natex, 34x26x11 inches, 35 lbs .
Quote from USPS again 459.
Lowest quote from shipipto 230 (unsure if USD or AUD).

Unfortunately I am finding shipping to be cost prohibitive. Has anyone had better luck? Looking for dual 2011 xeon build
International freight charges are about size, shape, volume and weight. Use shipito calculator to calc the cost when box is smaller. What shipito have done for me before on 2U, 3U and 4U is not ship in original box, as you pay for a lot of space with the foam filler. It even makes man handling them around at home much easier.
They have done an excellent job and no damage ever, and to date I have imported 40 shipments, some of which were one large box (using consolidation) and some were 6 boxes. There is significant money to be saved by consolidating multiple purchases into one box, or in many cases with small bags or boxes than ship 6 at once on one AWB .
Shipito let You use the method of shipment. FEDEX, TNT, DHL, Aus Post, USPS (US Post). I have tried all of the options.
Here are my observations and learnings, after 40 shipments.
1. Generally USPS ( for anything larger than LSI card etc) and FEDEX are for folks who want to pay thru the nose for a slow service. Fedex is also quite slow in comparison. I tested their fast and normal service, both slow. My experience living in different countries is that one service can be good in one country and not so good in another.

2. AUS Post takes a long time ( shipped med to big boxes) and can be the similar price or less than DHL, depends on shape, size and weight. Wont use them again due to slooww, poor tracking, and while it spends 2 to 3 weeks getting here, more chance to get beat up.

3. TNT are pretty quick, and cheaper than DHL by 0 - 15% but not always, depends on size and shape.

4. I live in Brisbane and DHL is the fastest and actually provide far superior customer service than TNT or FEDEX in Australia, I have called them all to follow thru on something. It is easy to get DHL to hold the shipment at the airport depot, which I do 100% of the time. TNT is very difficult in this respect.
Another reason I use DHL is that the routing and stops are often less ( less handling =less damage ) If I ship on Friday or Thursday from LA than I have the stuff on monday. If I ship on Mon or Tue have it Thursday or friday. Picking up from airport is a plus as if any damage, it is right there in their office, plus cute lady at the counter...

5. Shipito in Hawthorne CA are very fast, efficient and no waiting time, plus time to be on the plane over the pacific is faster. If you buy in Ca you will get slugged for taxes unless from a mum or pop ebay purchase. Item can arrive and be out the smae day.

6. Shipito in Tualatin in Oregon is slow in comparison (much bigger premises and volume), and offers a saving on state tax on all purchases. Budget full 24 hrs plus.......I use both..

7. Use the expected packages option.. By not consolidating / multiple items in a shipment and using the calculator you will pay more than necessary.

8. I often ship things for folks at work ( they buy online themsleves and use my shipito address, has worked well), which often helps fill empty space in boxes, ( empty space in boxes is your enemy) the couriers charge a volume / weight system. SO if you have a big box that weight 2 KG, but has an equivalent wieght / volume of 20KG, you will pay for 20KG..

9. There is one occasion where I have seen an ebay shop have some items with competitive pricing. This example is the mid tower supermicro chassis or system using the CS 732 chassis is about 80 bucks US.. Been burnt with ebay shipping so dont use it anymore.

10. Define what is important to yourself when shipping ( risk, cost, assurance, no headaches), choose wisely and good luck..

imchipz

Apr 18, 2016
Appreciate the detailed comment, but can you provide any numbers on shipping costs for some of the items you shipped? Even if packaging on a 1U or 2U server could be minimised lets say, it may still be quite a significant price (eg paying 200$ shipping on an item worth $300, borders on being financially unreliable and risky in my opinion). What kind of savings have you noted with different packing/repackaging, how much are you paying shipipto for any premium type subscription , etc.?

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Appreciate the detailed comment, but can you provide any numbers on shipping costs for some of the items you shipped? Even if packaging on a 1U or 2U server could be minimised lets say, it may still be quite a significant price (eg paying 200$ shipping on an item worth $300, borders on being financially unreliable and risky in my opinion). What kind of savings have you noted with different packing/repackaging, how much are you paying shipipto for any premium type subscription , etc.?
ok tomorrow..

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Recent calculations suggest "Shipito" Hawthorne CALIFORNIA is cheapest of their options by about 10%.

If using California or Nevada addresses have a close look at EBay Checkout before you pay to see if there are any State taxes applicable. It seems if seller and buyer come from same state e,g, California or Nevada then taxes can be applicable. I'm currently using two shipito addresses.

I'm currently shipping a Intel 4U Server Chassis from Kallyomalley on EBay. Dimensions 31.00"x22"x11.50" 47.5lbs using seller's packaging. I'd rather have extra protection shipping large and heavy boxes in case they are prone to dropping them in transit. Otherwise I have asked shipito to repack items in STURDY boxes and put extra bubble wrap. I have previously asked shipito to 'double' box items, i.e. put outer box in a slightly larger box and put bubble wrap in between. Special requests cost an extra $5. But I'd rather goods are safe than damaged in transit. Cost of shipping the Server Chassis with Shipito Preferred Carrier with AU Post is $153.03 plus $4.00 insurance (on $200 value of goods or 2%)

Returns can be a problem when buying from overseas, although my understanding is that EBay goods 'not as described' the seller is responsible for return shipping but most EBay sellers stipulate cost of return goods is to be borne by buyer.

One concern with using 3rd party freight forwarders is their handling of electrostatic (static) sensitive items. Because if you want Freight Insurance for 'Damage and Delivery' a photo needs to be taken of goods showing no damage before shipping. I have resorted to 'Delivery" insurance (lost package only) only with electrostatic sensitive goods not to have goods damaged by static electricity. @pgh5278 do you have a procedure you use with shipito for electrostatic sensitive goods as I have been unsuccessful in negotiating a suitable procedure with them?

Re Natex motherboards, they tend to ship with two layers of bubble wrap, the inner (pink) layer is supposed to be electrostatic protective. I have asked Natex to put sign in box with Electrostatic warning, but I have not seen this in my pictures as yet.

I hope this helps. :)

imchipz

Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for the detailed post Boddy, I saved it for when I need to ship I'll try copy what you do

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Boddy, which Intel chassis did you acquire?
Noticed when playing with shipito calc last night was 48 lbs was the max that auspost option will take, the SM chassis have bought all weigh more than that, so auspost was not an option. Examples below Intel 4U like boddy's, and below that is SM 3U chassis whch is heavier, and cant use auspost option, note TNT is same price for both.

upload_2016-6-1_9-41-48.png

upload_2016-6-1_9-41-1.png

Some answers to the questions.
Pay 50 a year for Shipito , use several of there warehouses to minimize sales tax ie =$0 on major purchases.

SM 2U and 3U chassis are similar in weight, only cost difference was based on volume

Re the question on item and shipping similar costs say 250 each = 500, if the item is 1000 here than it is a still good value. This gets back to my point several posts above, decide your level of risk..

Re static, no issues so far, and I would not expect Shipito to make changes to there process. It works for 99.9% of customers.

When you buy from another country you add risk. Often buy new items as well ebay. Do some research on the seller if not used before.

Basically you need to self insure, ie be prepared to eat the costs if it is DOA, depends on costs and size if worth returning. SO far in all of my purchases in US, only 2 DOA and these were 2 or 3 years ago, with items purchased within the forum, however had 100 success with forum purchases since then.

At the end of the day the decision is do you want it? Is it available locally and what price? Do your homework on shipping costs, consolidate where possible.. EG if you ship a server, it can be very cheap to have multiple shipments such that the other boxes are cheaper, as you have approx 700USD limit before taxes hit...On occasions I have kept stuff at shipito for 80 days, to enable consolidation etc. If it was cheaper to get stuff locally than shipito would be out of business, but saying that , many consumer PC stuff is the same price or less here, I have found to my surprise.. Good SHIPPING

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
As previous noted a few sellers dont mark up the global ebay shipping costs here is one such example..Have bought off these guys before, they have several shopfronts, been reliable..
upload_2016-6-1_9-46-3.png