FreeNas/TrueNas RDMA Support (FR for voting)

tsteine

May 15, 2019
@BoredSysadmin This is very interesting.

I've personally abandoned Truenas Scale in the homelab in favor of running openzfs on my linux distro of choice, there is no reason why I can't simply test this, and see whether iSER has tangible benefits for iSCSI, or nfs over rdma.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Lets be honest - in a homelab its probably not really relevant with RDMA - but we are all nerds and want the best performance, so that is why we want this :)

Reactions: Rand__

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
in a homelab its probably not really relevant with RDMA
When I copy files via robocopy from my workstation to my windows file server the server cpu stays at ~2.4GHz (it's a 1620v3 with 3.5GHz clock), so it probably saves some watts here and there :D

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If anyone has positive (or negative ) experience or expectations regarding RDMA then now might be a good time to chime in ...

He explicitly asked for it, even on non TN systems, so ...

tsteine

May 15, 2019
@Rand__

Judging from the the two posts you've gotten out of them, it seems to me like they haven't actually bothered testing RDMA themselves.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well I am not sure they didnt test it, it sounds rather like they did test with a certain setup and it did not yield significant improvement (which is o/c exactly what they say).
Now whether that was a best or worst case scenario test (or if its was even relevant to the potential improvements RDMA could bring) i don't know .