FreeNAS/TrueNAS Core air-gap backup?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Adcadet

Oct 31, 2020
For those of you running FreeNAS/TrueNAS Core - how are you creating a backup copy of your data that is air-gaped? With my use of RAIDZ1/Z2/mirred V-devs etc, I supsect the biggest risk to my data is user error, and there is some risk of an electrical fault (lightning) frying my systems, hence the reason I'd like to keep a copy or two sitting on a shelf. If any of you are doing this, how? Do you create a Z pool that you simply take out of your machine and put on a shelf? USB external drives?

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
I create a new pool, copy via a smb share using terra/x/robo copy and store away hdd disks.

Hot-swap drives are key so that you can offline a pool to create the new pool.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Trying to think of something that takes less manual intervention day to day. Keep the cold-spares to a once a month deal.

Second system set up with 2+ interfaces, the only one connected to the LAN is firewalled on the machine itself to block everything but snapshot replication and some form of outgoing alerts (take your pick). The user chosen for snapshot replication should have the least privileges possible.

I would imagine that would be highly effective against user error and your run of the mill malware/cryptolocker that gets on a machine on the LAN side. Once a month cold backups are more to protect against a bad enough PSU failure or lightning strike sort of event.