Freenas SMB Sharing issues. Sudden and out of the blue.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

boosthacker

Dec 21, 2013
I am having a strange issue I was hoping I could get some help for.

I was working on my systems and in the middle of the day the Mapped drives in my main windows 10 box quit working.

I have a freenas box supplying a main "tank" NFS AND CIFS share to windows and linux clients. 95% of the clients are VM's under proxmox. All of the linux machines have active connections to the "tank". All the windows machines lost connection to the mapped drive "tank". Freenas is a bare metal install on a Dell R720 and the Proxmox is a bare metal install on another Dell R720. Storage is supplied by 2 disk shelves with 128TB of raw storage to Freenas. Pools are a mix of 3 and 4TB drives into 6 drive raidz1 vdevs.

I was able to remap the drives in all the machines using \\192.16.1.235\tankv1\ instead of \\hostname\tankv1\ and things worked. Except for my windows VM's. Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr, Jackett all are in individual windows 10 vm's and they all failed to map the drives the way they used to (with hostnames) in the drive mapping.

I am not sure if this is due to the latest update from Freenas (that I did perform) depricating SMB v1 but I never had it enabled. All machines either physical or virtual are late versions of windows 10 or ubuntu 19.04.

Basically it boils down to not being able to use hostnames versus IP. Everything worked before.

boosthacker

Dec 21, 2013
Additions to my additional paramaters under services > SMB. For troubleshooting

# FreeNAS server wins in any election process to become master browser
os level = 255

# Force a browser election if FreeNAS is restarted
preferred master = yes

boosthacker

Dec 21, 2013
1 more thing,

I have a separate a NFS and CIFS share to Proxmox. The Linux VM's use the NFS share. Windows use the CIFS share. These are still working without issue. Proxmox shows status updates and the VM's are built on the CIFS share.