FreeNAS roll back from Corral to 9.10?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Are you going to be posting a guide on how to roll back from Corral to 9.10? Since its now a technology preview again, I don't want to rely on it for my production VM storage.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Its actually a really easy rollback - just go to "system->updates" and select the 9.10 train, then update. You obviously lose things 9.10 cannot support - like VMs and Docker - but if you are just using the basics it should work OK.

If things go badly you can always just re-install with 9.10 - your data should be imported automatically, though your shares and other config data will likely have be restored by hand after a re-install.

The only "gotcha" is that Corral permitted some new features in ZFS and the "alert" in Corral encourages users to "upgrade" their ZFS pools. The "9.10-STABLE" release can't support this upgraded ZFS pool - but the "9.10-NIGHTLY" apparently does, so if you upgraded to your ZFS pools or created new ones after installing Corral you have to select the "NIGHTLY" train for 9.10 (just saying "apparently" because I've not rolled back myself).

Of course, the "gotcha" in the "gotcha" is that this puts you back onto a development train instead of the stable release.

Last edited:

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Yeah, I may have to copy everything in my pool to another location (probably external 4TB USB3 HDDs and re-create it :().

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Why don't you just wait a few weeks until 9.10.3 is stable and then migrate? Unless you have issues o/c that you need resolved now.
I understand that you don't want a Tech preview running, but this might be way less trouble then messing with the data :)

Last edited:

proxima

Sep 15, 2016
Wow this is going to be a pain to roll back. I spent a considerable amount of time moving all my jails to docker containers, and have a centos VM installed that gets daily use.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Just want to report that I successfully imported my upgraded zpools from Corral into a new 9.10.2 config. No issues at all.