FreeNAS motherboard & CPU help!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Without any 10G client ?;) Yes its future proof but ...
The SAS HBA onboard might be good to get the 2 slots for mirror'ed boot drive (and maybe a cache drive later)

Re drives - have you thought about pool layout already? Mirror Or Z-2/3 ?
Or the X11SSL-F with just the HBA and 1PCIe x8 and 1 PCIe x4 for future expansion at about $250

edit : removed double quote

Stevenson

Feb 3, 2018
Removed the CPU cooler and thermal paste and also memory reduced to 32 GB

KD - on the X11SSH-CTF - HBA - how do we connect the drives on that interface? (sorry - HW idiot here...) - also shuckable drives - I heard some people were surprised when they opened up and found out it was not reds after all - worth doing the experiment?

USB mirrored boot if you all say reliable, I will go with that - I have 2 x 16GB new san disks around,..

Rand_ - I am leaning towards Raid-Z2

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well me personally prefer small used intel ssds to USB but mirror'd should be fine. Used that a long time with FreeNas in the old days.

Raid Z2 means (4*n)+2 drives - so 8 is not the ideal number - 6 or 10.
Now not sure if you can fit 10 in the R5

If you can go down to 6 then the non SAS HBA board will be sufficient again but you loose capacity...
If you go up then you need another case

Stevenson

Feb 3, 2018
Well me personally prefer small used intel ssds to USB but mirror'd should be fine. Used that a long time with FreeNas in the old days.

Raid Z2 means (4*n)+2 drives - so 8 is not the ideal number - 6 or 10.
Now not sure if you can fit 10 in the R5

If you can go down to 6 then the non SAS HBA board will be sufficient again but you loose capacity...
If you go up then you need another case
8 drives means full capacity 32 TB and with Raid Z2 - 24 TB, two drives used for redundancy. May I know why 8 is not an ideal number?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
How does your cpu wait time look like? Quite heavily overcommitted;)
On the trick always is to use the minimum number of vcpu that you need 1 or 2 is perfect. When you start to have a few vm’s With a large or excessive number of vcpu is when you get in real trouble as to schedule a VM in a clock cycle all vcpu cores need to be able to execute at the same time on physical cores.

Back on topic of which board and cpu...
I see everybody else has run with advise here and all seems good so given the slight change to number or drives and your needs the modern e3 would be a good choice.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yep, less cores per VM is the key here:)

And yes the E3 will be a good choice, all minor variations should have no major impact