[FreeNAS] Is it possible to add iscsi to existing setups.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LegenardaryStoner

Feb 25, 2017
Earth
Howdy,

I have been searching around here and there and can not seam to find a good answer to my question. Currently I have a freenas setup. 10 x 3tb wd red drives. I allocated all the drives to one setup. What I would like to do is add some iscsi shares or storage and use it with my vmware esxi 6.0 server. From what I am seeing I need to have an extra disk to setup iscsi. Is this the only way. Am I not able to use some of my free space from y current storage setup.

I am not sure I am using the correct terminology as FreeNAS is still new to me when it comes to configuring for performance and administration. I recently moved to a 10gb network and am building a new vmware server. I would like to best utilize this new bandwidth and abilities to maximize the benefits. Will this be possible with out loosing the 14tb I have on the setup?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome. If you need more info please let me know and Ill be happy to provide it.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
You don't need to dedicate drives to iscsi. It uses a zvol which is just a ZFS filesystem that you share out as a block device with iscsi and similar.

Reactions: Patrick