FreeNAS is becoming TrueNAS Core

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lostmind

Jan 5, 2013
Hi lostmind,

iX also ran a small web hosting business for a short time during the early 2000s, so I'm familiar with some of the challenges. Margins were thin back then, so I can only imagine what they're like today.

Was your inquiry for TrueNAS, a FreeNAS system, or just general purpose servers?
Ahh we started up in 2000, it's been a bit of a ride. Lucky to have a solid core of clients that keep us in business.

I used the get a quote function on your site describing our needs. I believe I was looking at the TrueNAS system at the time, but am unsure what is our best option - I don't have an issue paying a bit of a premium for support and such if it makes sense. So I hope your team will work with us to find out what the best solution is.

I'm not really a storage solutions expert.

This is the beauty of FreeNAS. If you're a company that prefers to be hands-on, can self-support, and you don't need HA, then FreeNAS can be a perfect fit. You can install it on the hardware of your choice and you don't owe us a dime. And, FreeNAS does have an HCL, by the way (it's effectively the FreeBSD HCL -- our FreeNAS versions are in sync with the FreeBSD version to make things easy)

If your company hits the scale where being so hands-on isn't sustainable, or if you decide you need HA or support because the data is critical, then that's where TrueNAS systems come in. TrueNAS is also fully compatible with FreeNAS, so you can use them to replicate to one another if you see fit.
Yup, that I all understand. We ran openindiana san's for many years, it was a pain (fast, but updates were not fun). We would like some level of support for peace of mind, but we're not unskilled monkeys and we aren't the type to bother a support desk if it is something that can be done self service. :)

I just find storage so odd. Storage is cheap but it gets ridiculously expensive (typically) for any level of support or HA.

Seems there is not much in the middle area.

Again, maybe your team can help us out with some guidance around your product offerings. Perhaps FreeNAS certified is our best bet, or maybe just build our own. Or perhaps it isn't a zfs solution that works for us at all and we stick with local storage.

This is good feedback, and I understand the sentiment. Luckily we have a range of products, so I'm hopeful you'll be able to find something within your budget.

We do list pricing guidance, but again, our issue is that the systems are so configurable that it's difficult for us to display on the website. It's been a tough problem to solve.

The OpenStorageNAS.com link posted by BoredSysadmin above is one of our Reseller partners. They've listed some example configs and pricing (though, looking at their pricing, it looks a little out of date).
I didn't see any pricing guidance, just saw that prices start at $4k. But I had a feeling that was just for the chassis.

With storage I've learned not to hold my breath, so I submitted my inquiry to your team not expecting much (I've recently spent 5 hours and 3 conference calls with Dell and fully expect to be let down shortly). I also submitted my inquiry to your team before seeing this thread. I have to say, your responsiveness here gives me some hope that your team will be helpful.

Have a great weekend!

Reactions: BLinux and tjk

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This will be in an article tomorrow on the STH main site, but TrueNAS-Core 12.0 Nightly is already running on the HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10+. Screenshots tomorrow.

Also... FreeNAS + Debian would make me perhaps the happiest person around.

Reactions: nikalai and Cixelyn

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
What excites me about this that it should mean that all the Linux goodies would work under the TrueNas Gui

Infiniband, RDMA for NVME/NFS/SMB/SCSI, potentially clustering...

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
What excites me about this that it should mean that all the Linux goodies would work under the TrueNas Gui
Infiniband, RDMA for NVME/NFS/SMB/SCSI, potentially clustering...
I'm pessimistic that these "enterprise features" will be available in the core version and for free ._.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
FreeNAS can do iSCSI/NFS/SMB now and I guarantee you TrueNAS Core will keep it. FC/Infiniband and clustering will highly likely to stay in licensed edition, definitely the latter.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
FreeNAS can do iSCSI/NFS/SMB
The important point was over RDMA which is currently not supported in FreeNas.

The current cluster solutions seems to feature a Hardware based solution which will probably not be available on non iX HW, but maybe some of the linux cluster options can be used then.