FreeNAS IOPs calculation using data sent to Graphite in Grafana

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
I am sending my FreeNAS 11 RC1 stats to a Graphite server and displaying in a panel in Grafana. However, my IOPs calculation seems off. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with configuring this.

What I did for the Graphite query is below. I configured the panel to show the value as an average, so that if I select a time range to graph, it should average the sum per the period of time. When I ran a series of DiskMark test, it showed Write IOPs upwards of 2-3k, which I believe is impossible for a 12 disk stripe+mirror config. What am I doing wrong?

Read:
sumSeries(servers.$hostname.disk-da0.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da1.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da2.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da3.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da4.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da5.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da6.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da7.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da8.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da9.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da10.disk_ops.read, servers.$hostname.disk-da11.disk_ops.read)

Write:
sumSeries(servers.$hostname.disk-da0.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da1.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da2.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da3.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da4.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da5.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da6.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da7.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da8.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da9.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da10.disk_ops.write, servers.$hostname.disk-da11.disk_ops.write)

Attachments

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
The value are taken from the mechanical disks only. I verified in Graphite and they are indeed the values it received. Unless my assumption of the formula is incorrect, I'm at a loss.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Maybe. It seems high but it's not like you're getting 200,000 where I'd say it's the formula. Just eyeballing it's closer to what I'd expect from either caching or if somehow it's aggregating like 5-10s and displaying.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
I double checked and the panel is created as an average, which should be displaying the number per the given period of time. This is what Graphite shows when I graph the same query.

Attachments