FreeNas Installation Not Permitted

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

broncosjkb

Apr 28, 2020
Hello I have recently purchased an Isilon 12000x and I was looking to install FreeNas on the system as I have had experience with it before. I installed the ISO and uploaded it to a USB and made it bootable with Rufus. I boot into the USB stick and I able start the installation process. I go to Select the 15GB drive that is used for the OS (ada0) and I get the following error:

gmirror: no such device: swap.
dd: /dev/ada0: operation not permitted
The FreeNas installation on ada0 Failed.

I have tried these two commands in the shell.

sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada0 bs=1m count=1

I have seen people fix this error with the above commands but I have a feeling it has something to do with the gmirror? I am new to the server and FreeNas world so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Amit More

Apr 28, 2020
I am running into same issue with a Supermicro box. I tried with an older version too, but no luck. Also, tried with option#2 i.e. serial console to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

NugentS

Apr 8, 2020
I had the same issues - switched the board (X10SRi-F) to UEFI Boot and the next attempt, selected UEFI when installing FreeNas and it worked.

YMMV

Sean

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
I am running into same issue with a Supermicro box. I tried with an older version too, but no luck. Also, tried with option#2 i.e. serial console to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
you can try use SM's virtual media mount the iso and install it through IPMI if you haven't done it yet.

boomerus

Jun 7, 2020
I had the similiar problem, I couldn't install FreNas on SSD 250GB, and I got the same error. I solved it by creating partition in SSD using my notebook, before installing FreeNas.

Last edited: