Freenas Failed creating pool - cant wipe disks

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Efigalaxie

Feb 1, 2020
I am beyond frustrated with this piece of crap called freenas. I have a crapload of drives. It doesn't necessarily order them the way they are in the enclosures. I found this out very painfully. So now I am trying to make new pools to replace old. I have 4 disks that were part of an old pool. They WILL NOT WIPE. Every time I add to a new pool (they are unassigned)They fail out on wipe. What I have read seems to involve putting them in another machine and running commands on them there. This evidently has been an ongoing issue. Imagine - a dang storage system with no way to format the drives.

Do any of you know how to fix this without me having to set up another server and move the drives into it???

I am very tempted to go back to hardware raid.

Efigalaxie

Feb 1, 2020
Here is the error log

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 219, in wrapper
response = callback(request, *args, **kwargs)

File "./freenasUI/api/resources.py", line 1421, in dispatch_list
request, **kwargs

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 450, in dispatch_list
return self.dispatch('list', request, **kwargs)

File "./freenasUI/api/utils.py", line 252, in dispatch
request_type, request, *args, **kwargs

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 482, in dispatch
response = method(request, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 1384, in post_list
updated_bundle = self.obj_create(bundle, **self.remove_api_resource_names(kwargs))

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 2175, in obj_create
return self.save(bundle)

File "./freenasUI/api/utils.py", line 493, in save
form.save()

File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py", line 282, in save
return False

File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py", line 279, in save
}, job=True)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 513, in call
return jobobj.result()

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 276, in result
raise ClientException(job['error'], trace={'formatted': job['exception']})

middlewared.client.client.ClientException: [EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk da47: [EFAULT] Command dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da47 bs=1m count=32 failed (code 1):
dd: /dev/da47: Invalid argument
1+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.000623 secs (0 bytes/sec)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
then try the legacy gui, locate the wipe disk option and give that a try if you are not comfy with the cli :)

Efigalaxie

Feb 1, 2020
Will putting them in a machine with a raid card....and erasing and reformatting that way work?

it is ridiculous to not have comprehensive drive handling on a system dedicated to storage.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
you could simply boot from a linux live [dvd,iso,bootstick]
Or try the console commands I provided earlier...