FreeNAS email setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
When setting up email on FreeNAS, a From email address is required. I can put my own email address in and it works but this seems kinda wrong, the emails are not from me they're from my FreeNAS box. Unfortunately the box doesn't have it's own email address. My question is, what is supposed to go in this box according to the people who develop FreeNAS?

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Yeah, it doesn't need "it's own" address, it will use whatever you provide to email blast alerts. I had it set up with my gmail address before google changed the mail config - I haven't bothered to go back in and fix it. That and I'm waiting on a change of ISP, figure I'll just wait until Comcast pulls the fiber and use their SMTP server.

Gary Gapinski

Oct 24, 2015
While you may be able to get away with an arbitrary origination address, some MTAs will reject email if the right-hand side does not resolve. It would be best to use somename@somedomainyoucontrol (even if it is not deliverable).

An example of a Postfix configuration that would reject:
Code:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_invalid_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_unknown_sender_domain, reject_unknown_recipient_domain, reject_unauth_pipelining, reject_unauth_destination, reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org, reject_rbl_client dnsbl.sorbs.net, check_policy_service unix:private/policy-spf, permit