FreeNAS Corral Canned – Development Essentially Halted for Now

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ajschot

Feb 6, 2017
I just wanted to say i am running FN10 (Corral) since beta2 and i still like it, this is the best working version and on my Xeon E5-2658v4 with 96Gb ram it is smooth (i run it from an SSD) there are some bugs but still like to use it i don't switch back to 9.10 since there are too many plugins mossing. Also i would miss the cli it was so easy to work with! Needed a lot less code than the normal shell also the async. tasks is great don't have to wait all the time!
Oh yes i used it all the time as on my nas (production) never lost any data.
Since i use it for a long time i will be missing so much stuff so i think i wait a year or so to switch to 9.10.
All that old plugins on 9.10 ... old plex, old crashplan (only use to make your nas a backup but can not backup your nas) old versions from almost everything and then still missing because with dockerhub there is so much mich much much more....
Don't miss a thing from 9.10....

ajschot

Feb 6, 2017
Now that everyone knows they can safely roll back... anyone going to tinker with Corral and keep playing around with it?
Yes i will, i keep staying on 10 until they have at least dockers (hope the CLI will come too but ... that is something hugh...)
I just miss more in 9.10 and on my system i just have no complains i like it and i love dockers but i am already running from october so i found my way well

Red_Devil_24

Jan 2, 2017
I just wanted to say i am running FN10 (Corral) since beta2 and i still like it, this is the best working version and on my Xeon E5-2658v4 with 96Gb ram it is smooth (i run it from an SSD) there are some bugs but still like to use it i don't switch back to 9.10 since there are too many plugins mossing. Also i would miss the cli it was so easy to work with! Needed a lot less code than the normal shell also the async. tasks is great don't have to wait all the time!
Oh yes i used it all the time as on my nas (production) never lost any data.
Since i use it for a long time i will be missing so much stuff so i think i wait a year or so to switch to 9.10.
All that old plugins on 9.10 ... old plex, old crashplan (only use to make your nas a backup but can not backup your nas) old versions from almost everything and then still missing because with dockerhub there is so much mich much much more....
Don't miss a thing from 9.10....
I couldn't agree more corral is so much better, even the new angular gui doesn't come close to corral IMO. Sure there's some bugs but for what I use it for, it's perfect and so much easier to work with.

Magnus

Apr 23, 2017
Corral reasons for being canned are all valid but not the real reason it got canned.

There was office politics going on with the old crowd wanting to stay with the legacy code and others pushing for new development.

The latter understood you can't simple remain stagnant as freesnas 9.3/9.10 has been for some time now.
Jails may be low overhead and stable but they also been dead for ages now with no development behind them.

A couple of poor code choices in corral and jhk finally getting tired of it and deciding to move on gave the old guard the power then needed to kill corral and go back to the old code.
This would have made more sense and been more believe if corral was majorly unstable but it wasn't and it has some seriously good ideas in it.

The new UI is little more then some pretty graphics on the same old info that's always been there but at least it improving.
There are those pushing to get new features ported over from corral but its debatable on if there ever allowed in.

This is more about office politics and playing it safe then it is about anything else.
How it effects ix systems in the long run is anyone's guess but in the short term it's making people very nervous and think about other options.

If they keep playing it safe then someone going to come along and innovate leaving them in the dust.

It looks like the days of freenas being the top dog are done.

Magnus

Apr 23, 2017
Now what becomes of it is anyone's guess.

Falling back into the old ways and just bolting on features to the legacy code is one path.

Another is if the users speak loudly enough that that it evolves into something more corral was trying to reach for.

Jails are going to have to go since though stable with low overhead there is no development and its features are duplicated with the likes of dockers and then some.
The UI has to evolve beyond this simple lip stick addon it is now with old info insto something more.
Hell you can't customize the info and basic stuff like hardware temps which corral has have long been missing from freenas.

Leadership is need along with a path of development that's less chaotic then it has been.

As it is now its its questionable on which way it goes.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Shame the engineers couldn't get aligned on the correct approach and resolve their differences and also a shame management couldn't step in to help form alignment. I experience a lot of this kind of thing in my consultancy work. Hopefully they can iron things out before its too late. But yes, falling back to the old code base and bolting shit on isn't likely to do them well in the long term and I wouldn't be surprised to see a competitor step up in these difficult times and start hoovering up users.
Im curious, whats happening to users of TrueNAS - are they getting support?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@sth - I believe TrueNAS lags FreeNAS versions so it was still on 9.x and did not get impacted.

Magnus

Apr 23, 2017
Its office politics it hits most business and combine that with a few bad path choices with corral , plus someone deciding he had enough and wanting a change.

Its totally understandable why falling back to the legacy code is something they want to do but it carries a large risk.

If they don't evolve things and decide to remain stagnant with just bolting things on then someone quickly going to pass them.

I know our business quickly veto the idea of using truenas devices and i aware of about 5 others that were considering it but have likely moved on due to the uncertainty and lack of development.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I'm just gonna say this and then gracefully bow out...

I'll take stability over feature's/fancy functionality ANY day of the year

Now that's not to say that I do not care about technologies such as containers/bhyvve/pretty UI but for me personally when you're betting the farm on a stg platform where stability matters buggy code/SW is no bueno. With the fallout of Corral and OmniOS recently sure there may be a 'new cool kid on the block' but remember these robust/stable/dependable storage technologies do not just spring up overnight...they take years and years of development, engineering, testing, etc. so I'd rather FreeNAS take their time and 'get their sh|t together' and wow us and come back w/ a vengeance in a year or two w/ a SOLID new technology uplift/release.

I also feel we have had pretty darn good feedback and weigh-in from inside IXsystems w/ very candid and honest replies in this thread and to induce further speculation that 'the house is on fire' is not really fair unless you work for IXsystems or have an extremely credible source. They made their decision and there's not much we can do about it but wait it out and hope for a 'homerun' next major release.

...that is of course unless you @Magnus are gonna drop some awe-inspiring storage/hyperconverged codebase on us... :-D

All to often it is very easy to sling mud when you're not the one painstakingly devoting/investing blood/sweat/tears and SERIOUS coding hours/efforts into a project/product.

Magnus

Apr 23, 2017
I'm just gonna say this and then gracefully bow out...

I'll take stability over feature's/fancy functionality ANY day of the year

Now that's not to say that I do not care about technologies such as containers/bhyvve/pretty UI but for me personally when you're betting the farm on a stg platform where stability matters buggy code/SW is no bueno. With the fallout of Corral and OmniOS recently sure there may be a 'new cool kid on the block' but remember these robust/stable/dependable storage technologies do not just spring up overnight...they take years and years of development, engineering, testing, etc. so I'd rather FreeNAS take their time and 'get their sh|t together' and wow us and come back w/ a vengeance in a year or two w/ a SOLID new technology uplift/release.

I also feel we have had pretty darn good feedback and weigh-in from inside IXsystems w/ very candid and honest replies in this thread and to induce further speculation that 'the house is on fire' is not really fair unless you work for IXsystems or have an extremely credible source. They made their decision and there's not much we can do about it but wait it out and hope for a 'homerun' next major release.

...that is of course unless you @Magnus are gonna drop some awe-inspiring storage/hyperconverged codebase on us... :-D

All to often it is very easy to sling mud when you're not the one painstakingly devoting/investing blood/sweat/tears and SERIOUS coding hours/efforts into a project/product.

Sadly we wont be dropping a awe inspiring codebase since our business was interested in buy from truenas not making our own.

Like you we value stability but there has to be some kind of development to keep up with the every changing demands of business and users.
As for the new kids on the block that a relative since there been others in development for sometime if not as long as freenas.
As we all know as silly as it sounds some kids in a garage can come out of nowhere and change the landscape .

Sources there are several of and what was happening wasn't really much of a secret when we started looking into investing in them.

This isn't about slinging mud this is about hoping they get it together.
They need a leader to step in and say this is whats going to happen and this is the path we are following will at the same time capable of listening to feedback.
That person also needs to update the system so its not as insanely chaotic as it is when making something as simple as a bug report can turn in to a mess.
Kris Moore seems to be the one to watch as he made sure there actually Qa testing being done and giving things some direction.

More has to happen though since whats happening her is effecting the business and i for one hope they do.
But like the good things happening there also unsettling signs that its falling back to its old ways.

All we can do now is wait and see as we hope for the best.