FreeNAS Corral Canned – Development Essentially Halted for Now

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I received word on this from iXsystems two hours ago.

Feel free to ask questions/ suggest alternatives for content (@gea time for a napp-it main site post?) here.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@gea Napp-it certainly has an advantage in that it sits on top of an OS of your choice so should something drastic like this happen the system below is still supported etc.

I hate hearing news like this, is always concern when using less open or less popular software but on the other hand you want to give them a go and hope others do as well to ensure some viable new solutions arrive to market.

Even though I don't and likely never will use it it certainly would be sad to see it do anything else other than prosper. Let's hope it's just a short delay, old software is never popular.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I downgraded back to 9.10 after a multitude of issues. I felt like it was released prematurely. I hope they'll regroup and try again but for now, I'm happy with 9. I use it solely as a NAS OS and never used jails or any other "bonus" features.

I'll also add that FreeNAS makes it easy to recover your data after an OS catastrophe. Learned. This by experience but sure was glad it was.

Reactions: resistor

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Been using 9.10.x for awhile now with few Jails and it's been rock solid. If I end up looking elsewhere, i'll probably end up playing around with an all-in-one hyperv + replicated CSV setup if nothing else to get familiar with the stack.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Catastrophic for FreeNAS users like me who were adopting new features and put many hours into it.

Count me as ready to try something new.

You can't get people to convert then stop the train and say oh wait many months. Shows lack of leadership.

Yesterday I was telling people how great Corral was. Tomorrow I'm telling people to stay away as they can't execute on a roadmap even after declaring stable.

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Oof.

Even given the multitude of problems it seems Corral has, I'm surprised they went to such an extreme. I'm beginning to think there was something very wrong internally at IXsystems (e.g., the odd v10 beta/final release schedule, drop-off of blog updates), and hopefully now it's being corrected.

Hope the company doesn't suffer too much from this and is able to bounce back.

cliffr

Apr 2, 2017
I'm happy I spent 10 hours trying different Ubiquiti configs and writing up the article.

I bet @whitey is happy for his replication too.

I can tell you this. No way I am buying any more of their Minis for my clients now.

I like the spin that it will live in sometime later in that announcement. Really it's another redo. Not progress forward and anyone who spent time with Corral just got burned.

SaltyPeanuts

Apr 12, 2017
From what I read this article has some pretty bad discrepancies in comparison the post ixsystems put on their forums. I read the FreeNAS lead devs announcement a few hours ago on the FreeNAS forums and he had a lot of good things to say. He even specifically mentioned that FreeNAS Corral was not dead and is just in essence being rebased.

hyperconverged is still a thing considering bhyve is in 9.10... It's been a feature I've personally used for a while now. My understanding from what the devcs said in the announcement is that they are re-basing corral on 9.x which is much more stable. They're even looking for ways to integrate docker into 9.x down the road which is a win to me. It sounds to me like you get all the cool features you want from Corral but in a more stable package. I'll gladly wait a little longer for that.

Feels like the information in your article doesn't match up with the post on the FreeNAS forums but maybe that's just me.

Reactions: Fritz
Sep 22, 2015
From what I read this article has some pretty bad discrepancies in comparison the post ixsystems put on their forums. I read the FreeNAS lead devs announcement a few hours ago on the FreeNAS forums and he had a lot of good things to say. He even specifically mentioned that FreeNAS Corral was not dead and is just in essence being rebased.

hyperconverged is still a thing considering bhyve is in 9.10... It's been a feature I've personally used for a while now. My understanding from what the devcs said in the announcement is that they are re-basing corral on 9.x which is much more stable. They're even looking for ways to integrate docker into 9.x down the road which is a win to me. It sounds to me like you get all the cool features you want from Corral but in a more stable package. I'll gladly wait a little longer for that.

Feels like the information in your article doesn't match up with the post on the FreeNAS forums but maybe that's just me.
Please learn to read between the marketing BS. Corral being "re-based" means they're just rewriting everything all over again. Notice they don't commit to any of the features Corral has (had) but say they'll look into it.

Reactions: Cole and OBasel

SaltyPeanuts

Apr 12, 2017
Please learn to read between the marketing BS. Corral being "re-based" means they're just rewriting everything all over again. Notice they don't commit to any of the features Corral has (had) but say they'll look into it.
upload_2017-4-12_22-7-28.png

upload_2017-4-12_22-7-57.png

upload_2017-4-12_22-8-15.png

Did we read the same forum post? From reading the forums post it sounds like they're committing to:

a new angular UI *(which is already in their builds) pretty sure i even heard one of the devs talking on FreeNAS irc saying they were going to do this for freenas corral because the old UI wasn't working right
bhyve is already present and works great
keeping the corral project alive by bringing in pieces of what worked and keeping the name
possible docker integration if they can make the underlyuing file system work.

Sorry, but I can't take what you're saying at face value considering the above statements including the source. that didnt look like hype to me at all. I've followed other projects that kris moore worked on and i think he can really make this stuff happen. They realized the product in its curent state wasn't working and they have a new plan to make it work... I guess I just get my news from different places *(including the source)* and i'm saying the servethehome article doesn't match up. It's not meant to be personal so i hope it isnt taken that way...just my observation.

FreeNAS 9.x is solid. I've used it for years with no issues. The new angular UI looks even better than the old one. Looks to me like they are committing to a lot so i honestly don't agree with your statement about not committing. Sure it's not the same under the hood, but im pretty happy to see a the devs step up and admit when something wasn't working out.

i've read this forum for a while now and it seemed to me like servethehome dumped on freenas pretty hard in the article and it just seemed kind of in bad taste to me considering the other articles posts i had seen here. Just my opinion tho.

Attachments

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
As someone who waited patiently for quite some time for FreeNAS 10 (Corral) to be released so I could use it as a SAN for my home network this news is crushing. Regardless of the spin IXSystems puts on this, they have a serious trust issue with their user base at this moment. I don't think I'd feel comfortable adopting any of their new releases going forward at this time.

I'll certainly be interested in alternative options for my home VM shared datastore.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
@SaltyPeanuts, don't forget that Kris Moore has a vested interest in spinning a good story for his company (notice the rapid evolution of his statements in the thread today - from "its dead" to "we'll try" to "we plan to include...".

Frankly as I read the FreeNAS forum I get the strong feeling that they are pretty much forming the story as they go today. Just my read.

I've seen stronger organizations that IXsystems go through this - groups that unlike IX live on more than one "product". It rarely ends well.

SaltyPeanuts

Apr 12, 2017
yeah i see what you are saying @PigLover but i still dont see anywhere where it says freenas corral is dead so i dont understand what u meant with evolving language. was there a different announcement? i'm sure they are invested in making it succeed though but i dont understand how that is bad. if there is another post please link it so i can read it. everything I read earlier today said they were taking a lot of the coral project and re-basing with a lot of the same features on 9.x.