FreeNAS Corral and NextCloud - Silly Easy to Install with Docker

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
For anyone who tried installing OwnCloud or NextCloud on FreeNAS, it was at least slightly complicated in FreeNAS 9.10.

Here are the basic steps to get started.
1. Get Docker running by creating a host VM.
2. Go to Docker -> Containers -> + -> Choose an image -. NextCloud and click save:
FreeNAS Corral Docker NextCloud Selection.JPG

In FreeNAS Corral, there is a ready-to-go Docker image.
upload_2017-3-17_15-6-21.png

That is it! Pretty awesome functionality. All told, this was running and synced in the data center to my phone in less than 3 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Curious if you are using Jumboframes on your FreeNAS network interfaces? There was a bug during the Beta where VMs/Containers did not get a properly configured network interface if the host interfaces was any MTU <> 1500. Can you tell if they fixed this?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Curious if you are using Jumboframes on your FreeNAS network interfaces? There was a bug during the Beta where VMs/Containers did not get a properly configured network interface if the host interfaces was any MTU <> 1500. Can you tell if they fixed this?
I need to re-do the image to put it on one of the 40GbE interfaces. I have the VM running this Docker host bound to the management interface which does not have Jumbo frames.

But - if you are on Corral, it is only a few seconds to get up and running.

owr084

Mar 19, 2017
Ok, but I have the same question as the dog who just caught the car they were chasing - "Now what?" I have managed to get it install, just like you showed above. But, how do I start using it to store photos off my devices? With earlier version of FreeNas, there were tutorials on how to do this. With Corral, there aren't any.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@owr084 Did you download the Windows/ OSX/ iOS/ Android Nextcloud clients? Just point those at the server (likely FreeNAS IP:9000) and it will start to sync.

owr084

Mar 19, 2017
Sonofa... I tried everything last night, IP+ :9000, and every other variant of the server name and nextcloud. So, I shut it off and quit for the night. Now, I just turned it on and tired the IP + :9000 and it comes up. Thanks for the help and utnil my next question ;)

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Does anyone know where the share is for Nextcloud? Do I need to make the Docker VM huge so it has enough storage or is it using an existing or dedicated volume?