FreeNAS copying from one pool to another on the same box

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
This isn't working too well for me. It starts out dog slow, 32MBs and then stalls at about 10%. Tried it multiple times and all the same. Is there a reason for this or is there something amiss with this box?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
There's your problem.
Do you mind elaborating? I did the same exact copy and paste from one FreeNAS box to the other and it was blazing fast and problem free. The reason I asked is because I wanted to know. "There's your problem" tells me nothing. :rolleyes:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You're using windows, which means you're using a share, which means you're using networking which means you're not technically copying from within the same server to another pool on the same server due to how you've initiated the transfer.

To do remote server/server transfers we used to use FTP software that did FXP.

You're keeping it on 1 server so you need to issue commands on that server.

Reactions: Fritz

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Simple one liner once ssh'ed into ZFS box. Work smarter not harder my papa always told me :-D (protocols working harder the way you were trying to do it, this is the purest method to copy data from one ZFS pool/dataset to another on the same ZFS based stg system)
Code:
zfs snapshot srcpool/datasetname@20170624 && zfs send srcpool/datasetname@20170624 destpool/datasetname && zfs remove srcpool/datasetname@20170624

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
If you are more familiar with linux a simple cp command works in FreeNAS as well. It may not be as good as doing a ZFS send/receive but at least all the work is occurring on the server not traversing the network.

Reactions: Fritz

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
One other thing. You mentioned that you have seen much higher copy speeds in the past. I am guessing that you were copying between locations on the same volume. If that is the case SMB can be smart enough (depending on versions) to execute that on the server side but it can't/won't do that between volumes even if they are on the same server.