[FreeNAS] 2 different disks sets 1 pool?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
performance scales with vdevs (if you have suifficient parallel processes)

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
performance scales with vdevs (if you have suifficient parallel processes)
Okee 2 vDevs it is :)

What do you think about adding cache will it help performance wise?

And are there any useful apps for me to use? Keep in mind the use case. (Backup from the backup)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
cache for a backup system ? no use is it ? it caches data in memory (or disk) so you can access it faster ....

Apps - no idea, don't use them on FN.;)

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
I still cannot get it done :( So one pool with 2 vDevs.

I go to ADD Pool, i selected ALL 16 disks. Then in the right column i selected the 8 x 3TB and created vDev_8x3TB. After that i go to Pools and i click on the Wheel on the right side and i select EXTEND. But then i do not see the 8 x 4 TB disks, so i cannot create my second vDev.

The weird thing is it shows vDev_8x3TB Healhty 34,54 TiB.
So it looks lik all my disks are in the same vDev now. But like i said before when i select only the 8 3TB disks and create a vDev and after that the same with 8 4TB disks it looks like i have 2 pools because i cannot create one SMB share with all the 34 TB. (i am using Raidz2 BTW)

See the attachment, i am not able to create a SMB with all the available space. See also the attachment with regards to my pool.

What am i doing wrong? @Rand__ , @Spearfoot any suggestions?

Attachments

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Cant recognize much on the pics, am on mobile, but the proper way would be select 8 drives either size, move to the right side, create pool.

Then extend pool, select next 8 drives, move to right, choose same layout and go.

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
Cant recognize much on the pics, am on mobile, but the proper way would be select 8 drives either size, move to the right side, create pool.

Then extend pool, select next 8 drives, move to right, choose same layout and go.
Okee, that does work :p Thanks :)
Do i have to create a dataset? Some HowTo's tell me to do that, or can i just go and create a SMB share in the SHARING menu?

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
Wauw! i am really happy with the end result! It does about 700/750MB/s (10bit) from the Windows Server (RAID6 12x4TB).
I checked my ARC Hit ratio it is around 100. The higher the better right?

This is really really more than i expected :)

Are there more things i need to setup / fine tune?

No one any ideas about useful apps in my use case?

Thanks everyone for helping me get this far :)

Last edited:

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
Since i would like to know in advance, what to do when i happens. Would should i do / what happens when a drive fails? How do i identify the faulty drive? Just by checking serial numbers? And if i replace the drive wil the rebuild process start by it self?

Does this proces always work or is it common to check a rebuild after building a system?

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Resurrecting the dead, as I think that a junior question on a similar theme can stay here: I'm looking at a backup of my Unraid mostly-media server (using rclone or rsync) using TrueNas.

This backup has 9x8tb and 8x4tb. Planning two vdevs raidz2. I would have three open chassis bays still. Option could be to add third vdev of 3x6tb. Or buy additional drives of 8tb or 4tb to balance out the numbers (10+10, 9+9+2x-something). This is not an iops build, primarily cold storage using jbod leftovers of reds and shucks.

"What would you do?" Is 9+8+3 a bad idea? Or just 9+8 and keep three available for cache/slog/zil/l2arc or other advanced features I may use in the future if my usage changes?