Free Virtualization operating systems

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Looks like the reason that the system wasn't booting was the SAN. I disconnected the SAN from the node and it booted fine, I then connected the SAN back and I started to get the following error scrolling:

blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 0 op 0x0: (READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg <Random Number> prio class 0

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Question: I have installed ProxMox on a consumer grade USB travel drive. Should I be using something different like a HDD or internal SSD?

This is the second time that I have had a USB travel drive die on me since I have started using Proxmox, before that I was running Ubuntu off these USB travel drives with out an issue.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Question: I have installed ProxMox on a consumer grade USB travel drive. Should I be using something different like a HDD or internal SSD?

This is the second time that I have had a USB travel drive die on me since I have started using Proxmox, before that I was running Ubuntu off these USB travel drives with out an issue.
Proxmox does a lot of logging and other writes to the boot drive. They do not generally recommend using low endurance media (like your USB travel drive) for boot. Can't say for sure that it is Proxmox killing your drive - but getting something with more write endurance would probably be wise.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
What would be the best SSD drives to boot Proxmox from? Would have to be SATA, no PCI-E slots available.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
*shrug* I'd probably pick something reliable like a used Intel S3500.

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
Hi,

I'm looking for a free virtualization operating system, I have tried ProxMox but I continuously have problems (isn't stable enough) with it and would like to try something else.

I have 4 nodes with the following specs:
- 2x 4 core CPUs
- 16GB of ram
- 1x 128GB usb boot drive
- 2x 1TB HDD
- 1x Emulex LPe11000 (single port, would like to have all VMs on a single SAN LUN from each node)
What issues are you havnig with proxmox? I've had it rock solid probably for 5+ years....

Edit: I run a server with local EXT4 storage with SMB mounts over 10Gbit to a Freenas box. The freenas box has ZFS of course, but it's only for backups. I'd probably try to get a simpler setup (without distributed filesystems) going first to see how that works out for you.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I have had two instances where the boot drive (USB thumb drive) has failed, I have determined that I will need to get some hardware to boot from thats more enterprise grade.

The second problem is with a CIFS share that I have shared earlyer in this thread.