1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free streaming software

Discussion in 'NAS Systems and Networked Home and SMB Software' started by macrules34, Mar 1, 2017.

1. macrules34

macrules34 Member

I'm looking for a free program that would allow me to convert DVDs & VHS videos and then stream on my tv. I would like to be able to run this software on a VM on a home ESXi server. I am new to these technology's.

2. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

For streaming:

PLEX Server
    PLEX on phone, tv, roku, etc...

You'll need other software to convert your DVDs and VHS most notably to actually 'access' them and then I'd look into HEVC / H.265 Explained

3. manxam

manxam Member

I'm not certain that I'd recommend H265 just yet as many media players don't support this format natively and, therefore, Plex will likely have to transcode each stream. While it's definitely the future, I'd wait a couple of years and use x264 in mkv or mp4 containers for now. The file sizes will be bigger (4-5gb for decent 1080p with 6 channel audio ~2 hour long movie) but they'll be playable on far more devices.

4. vl1969

vl1969 Active Member

you may need couple of programs rather than one.
    for streaming Plex is good
    for ripping/converting there are several exists.
    if you can use Linux , Handbrake , k2b, work wonders, although you loose the DVD/CD menu
    you can also rip to ISO but it might not work for streaming.
    I like Handbrake as it does a very good ripping format.

5. acquacow

acquacow Active Member

I use handbrake on my desktop to rip/convert DVDs and a VM running Plex to serve everything up to my TiVo that runs a Plex app.

K D likes this.
  6. i386

i386 Active Member

I am running Universal Media Server on my server.

For encoding I'm using megui + avisynth on windows.

7. i386

i386 Active Member

I am running Universal Media Server on my server.

For encoding I'm using megui + avisynth on windows.

8. macrules34

macrules34 Member

Thanks for the info I'll reasearch them further.

9. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

Hmm.. that's why I said "look into" ;)

Either way it's something anyone starting to rip and store their own media need to be aware of... I sure would be upset if I did all 264 and wasn't aware of 265 to find out I could have saved big $$ on storage and upgraded to a HTPC and still saved money :) :) in the end.

We've only had a ROKU for 3+ years but def. will be going with a higher performing setup to work with h265!!

It's something you need to consider and look at going forward, especially since even lower end new intel chips can handle decoding onboard now.

10. ttabbal

ttabbal Active Member

If my client side supported 265, I'd be on it, but my little raspberry pis are already hard pressed with the 264. :) And I have Android devices that don't support it yet. The next hardware upgrade will though, so it's worth looking at just in case.

11. ecosse

ecosse Active Member

I'm always a little dubious of what these services are "recording" - maybe I am just paranoid! I use Emby sparingly which is another option and of course Kodi.

Cole likes this.
  12. tozmo

tozmo New Member

I rip all dvds using MakeMKV (removing unnecessary subtitles and languages). I store them on my server which is backed up with NAS.
    My server is wired to my wireless router.
    I then use Kodi on my FireTV and kids' amazon tablets.
    I can also DLNA things if I need to. I have plex installed, but I still haven't figured out the settings to get it to transcode properly

13. K D

K D Active Member

Handbrake + Plex. Handbrake can be used from the commandline and so you can setup your own full/semi automated workflows.

One thing that always bothers me in plex is that Fast Forwarding is a fixed 30 seconds. So I prefer to use Kodi with PlexKodiConnect for viewing.

14. am4593

am4593 Member

I also use makemkv + PLEX, but i keep all the subtitle information. Makemkv has a very generous trial period or you can just keep refreshing that trial period of a VM snapshop

15. wiretap

wiretap Active Member

I use Emby running within a ESXi VM (Win 8.1 Pro x64 + MCE + ServerWMC Emby Plugin).. works great, and also has server side hardware transcoding. I run it to 3 HTPC clients with directplay, and transcoded to an Apple TV 4, one kindle tablet, two android phones, and remotely over VPN to my laptop at work -- also to my brother's and parent's house on their user accounts I added for them.