Free Deduplication Server software (VM)

SteveeW

Jan 4, 2022
I do work for Quantum, but this is a great deal with no strings attached. And could serve this community well.

You can get a 5TB free-forever deduplication VM that you can install on your own hardware (KVM, VMware, Hyper-V). And you can install more than 1 and replicate between them. Anywhere from 100GB to 5TB of raw disk (which could mean 100TB of actual storage) The download is from: Quantum DXi V5000 Community Edition for Free!

There's sizing data and install videos here: The Quantum DXi V5000 Community Version. Why buy 20 disks when you can buy 1?

Deduplication doesn't work well for data like videos or compressed files or tiny files, but for backup and the like you can get some amazing deduplication rates. I'm running basic Windows backup and the free Veeam community edition software and I'm getting dedupe rates at well over 20:1. If you don't mind the overhead and aren't saving tiny files you can use it as a NAS server and see hat results you get.

Anyway, free to try, no commitment, licensed forever.

ccie4526

Jan 25, 2021
I get a page that says:
Fill out the form to download the virtual DXi V5000 Community Edition and add it to your own environment to experience the power of DXi.

But there's no form. Anywhere.

SteveeW

Jan 4, 2022
I get a page that says:
Fill out the form to download the virtual DXi V5000 Community Edition and add it to your own environment to experience the power of DXi.

But there's no form. Anywhere.
could it be a browser problem or something? There's just a few fields to fill out, and it looks like this: 1641452386529.png

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Dont have it either with my regular browser with ad &, cookie blockers, orginal host scripting only and so on, just a blank area.
Its present on the "I dont care about my data, just make this damn page work" one ;)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Sounds a lot like datadomain kind of function, or possibly using VDO as a backing store.
I will take a look and check it out. 5TB is a nice community size for backup of files that makes sense.

SteveeW

Jan 4, 2022
Sounds a lot like datadomain kind of function, or possibly using VDO as a backing store.
I will take a look and check it out. 5TB is a nice community size for backup of files that makes sense.
Data Domain, of course, is very dominant in the dedupe field. But Quantum's patent actually preceeds their product (and in fact they had to pay some fees to Quantum -- you can look up the history on that).

But it's a full featured Community Edition and represents the appliance we've been selling for a couple of decades.

ccie4526

Jan 25, 2021
Disabled all adblockers and such (note the grayed-out ABP icon), and still blank. I'm digging through the page source code now....

View attachment 21043
Found it.

Your site HTML has this:
Code:
<script src="//app-sji.marketo.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.min.js"></script>
<script>MktoForms2.loadForm("//app-sji.marketo.com", "561-AAR-658", 6078);</script>
Which is a well-known blocked spam site. Try hosting the script on your own domain/servers.

SteveeW

Jan 4, 2022
Found it.

Your site HTML has this:
Code:
<script src="//app-sji.marketo.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.min.js"></script>
<script>MktoForms2.loadForm("//app-sji.marketo.com", "561-AAR-658", 6078);</script>
Which is a well-known blocked spam site. Try hosting the script on your own domain/servers.
Ouch. But thanks. I'll pass it on to the IT group.

Reactions: Rock