FREE: Celestix 2U x86 network appliance with SAS, 8 x 1GbE, etc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Surely one of you wants an interesting toy? ;)

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Google Wallet or USPS money order preferred. PayPal fees have been adding up. I think my reputation should help: Heatware

So, I've had this thing sitting in my condo's storage unit for probably 5 years now. I don't even remember why I bought it (probably because it was rare and I've never seen one up for sale since). It is essentially brand new and comes in the original box with all the expected accessories like rails (I don't think it was ever actually used). Exact model is a Celestix WSA 8200. These ran Microsoft Forefront UAG 2010 on top of Windows Server 2008 R2 (COA still attached on top). Believe it or not, Celestix is supporting Forefront until 2023!

Specifications include 2 x Xeon E5620s, 2 x 4GB RAM (expandable naturally), 8 x 1gbit Intel NICs, an Adaptec hardware SAS RAID card (with 4 hot-swap bays), redundant power supplies and more. SAS HBA can be swapped out for any other PCIe card as you can wire up the drive bays to the internal SATA ports. There is an embedded CF slot as well. It can be expanded to have 10gbit NICs or 24 x 1gbit, but modules are hard to find. Also has IPMI, but I've not tried getting that working. Just add a drive and you'll be set (confirmed working with my SAS SSDs).

Hopefully one of you thinks this is a nice looking toy to play with, even if the processors are a bit dated. You can find custom LCD/knob drivers for the unit with a quick Google search (I can also provide 32 bit Windows ones from an older Celestix unit that I personally used for many years). $159 + shipping and you can call it yours? Please help me make more room in my storage unit and make my girlfriend happy.

That would make one hell of a pfsense box if it did crypto per their new requirements, and for 160 hot dang that's a lot of hardware for cheap

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
That would make one hell of a pfsense box if it did crypto per their new requirements, and for 160 hot dang that's a lot of hardware for cheap
Westmere generation CPUs (Xeon 56xx) have AES-NI, so it definitely meets the new requirements.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
One final price drop. I think I'll just stick it in colo instead of dropping it further if no one has any interest.

cadamwil

Jan 16, 2014
Nashville, TN
Westmere generation CPUs (Xeon 56xx) have AES-NI, so it definitely meets the new requirements.
Put my name into the hat. I’ll make it into a nasty PFSense router. Been wanting to get a PF Sense box that will handle my gigabit internet. Do you have an iPhone and Applepay? I could also do Google Wallet.

I’ve managed one before, I did not enjoy the windows firewall software, too many “quirks.”

Adam

Reactions: gigatexal

abq

May 23, 2015
Now free! I will give this away in one week (on the 15th) to anyone that is interested. Terms are as follows:
  • You've been a member since 2016 or have at least 50 posts as of the 1st of January, 2018.
  • You pay for shipping (live in 85016 if you wish to estimate costs)
  • You're in the continental US (normally ship internationally, but this just isn't going to be worth the postage)
  • You promise to actually use the thing and not just resell it
  • You reply to this thread between January 9-14th stating your interest
  • If multiple people are interested, one will be picked at random
  • If the selected person changes their mind or doesn't follow through, another will be picked at random
  • I get to disqualify anyone or alter the terms as I see fit
Please don't PM me unless you have questions about the unit as I won't count that for the sake of fairness. If there's more than one person, I'll add everyone's post number to a pool and have something pick one at random to determine who gets it. Thanks!

Original post below:

So, I've had this thing sitting in my condo's storage unit for probably 5 years now. I don't even remember why I bought it (probably because it was rare and I've never seen one up for sale since). It is essentially brand new and comes in the original box with all the expected accessories like rails (I don't think it was ever actually used). Exact model is a Celestix WSA 8200. These ran Microsoft Forefront UAG 2010 on top of Windows Server 2008 R2 (COA still attached on top). Believe it or not, Celestix is supporting Forefront until 2023!

Specifications include 2 x Xeon E5620s, 8 x 1gbit Intel NICs, an Adaptec hardware SAS RAID card (with 4 hot-swap bays), redundant power supplies and more. SAS HBA can be swapped out for any other PCIe card as you can wire up the drive bays to the internal SATA ports. There is an embedded CF slot as well. It can be expanded to have 10gbit NICs or 24 x 1gbit, but modules are hard to find. Also has IPMI, but I've not tried getting that working. Just add a drive and RAM and you'll be set (confirmed working with my SAS SSDs).

Hopefully one of you thinks this is a nice looking toy to play with, even if the processors are a bit dated. You can find custom LCD/knob drivers for the unit with a quick Google search (I can also provide 32 bit Windows ones from an older Celestix unit that I personally used for many years). $149 + shipping (see above) and you can call it yours? Please help me make more room in my storage unit and make my girlfriend happy.

Please count me in as well. Thank You, ABQ :)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I'm sure this is taken by now, but also put my name in the hat :p been wanting to build a rackmount dualboot music making pc/server for my dad, this would be perfect