Frankenstein Modded Mellanox Adapters What The

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
This was a listing I saw on ebay:

The "LIKE" dual port 10G is explained in the description:
This is a MOD version, it is base on the single-port version (they use the same chip, MT27508), and add the extra connector & components to make it DUAL PORT. It works same as the MCX312.
It seems like they're taking single port cards, soldering on the extra connectors, adding a cover to hide the internal work, and then they're selling them as dual port cards.

All for cards that are $40 obo on ebay and have a "HUGE quantity in stock"

I don't see any risk in this at all /sarcasm

• Wow
Reactions: Markess

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Wow that is delightfully sketchy. Got to love the generic metal box with SFP pictures. Could be $40 of any random hazardous material they want to get rid of in that box.

Reactions: Patrick

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I pride myself on doing some of the stupidest, jankiest, most ill advised stuff ever to save a buck (and sadly, often spending even more to go back and do it right the second time), and even I would take a pass on those.

nasbdh9

Aug 4, 2019
These are cx341 (that is, the ocp version of cx312, single port), you can change to dual port version by adding sfp cage and capacitor and then refreshing the firmware. Of course, you also need an ocp2.0 to pcie adapter card

above two links need to be translated