FOUND: Looking for someone with good soldering skills

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Is there anyone in The Netherlands or the EU itself with good solder skills? I screwed up the VBIOS on one of my FirePro M7820's so I need to have the BIOS chip replaced. I already own a pre-programmed BIOS chip that's waiting to be soldered on.

Reactions: Samir

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
here.
Though i wonder how you managed to brick that since ATI flash or flashrom*? ! should be able to flash the card independent of a working driver or card.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
here.
Though i wonder how you managed to brick that since ATI flash or flashrom*? ! should be able to flash the card independent of a working driver or card.
If you flash a M7820 while docked with a external monitor connected to your M6500 ATIWinFlash crashes = brick

EDIT for future reference: undock and close any monitoring software like GPU-Z or HWiNFO. Buildzoid told me that it can and will brick GPUs if you keep software like that open.

Last edited:

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
indeed, crash while flashing is a bad thing. Though, that does not damage the SPI EEPROM itself and the card should still be flashable through atiflash. Of cause it won't output a picture, but that's what a second gpu is for? If the Driver keeps crashing your windows, go in safemode without drivers loaded?

I mean, if you want to send me the stuff, me swapping chips isn't the issue, but i still think you should be able to recover those yourself.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
indeed, crash while flashing is a bad thing. Though, that does not damage the SPI EEPROM itself and the card should still be flashable through atiflash. Of cause it won't output a picture, but that's what a second gpu is for? If the Driver keeps crashing your windows, go in safemode without drivers loaded?

I mean, if you want to send me the stuff, me swapping chips isn't the issue, but i still think you should be able to recover those yourself.
M6500s dont boot at all with bricked GPUs.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
well, in that case, it seems pretty hard to recover on your side.
You could still try a CH341a SPI EEPROM flasher with a sop8 thingy, "klammer" in German.

Or you send it to me and i swap em for you. As long as i just have to swap the eeproms, shouldn't take more then a few minutes + shipping cost back to you.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Holy shit, they massacred my boy GPU! Nice to see RageBone reversed it.

Will report back if it works.