Forward graphics from other server over ethernet for accelerated graphics.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Johnsontaylor6320

Sep 13, 2021
Hey there, I have one server, it’s only cpu cores and storage. I’d like to do accelerated graphics but I don’t have any pcie lanes (well I have a x8 but i don’t have enough room for a graphics card, it’s only 1u). Could I build another server, put some cards in there and then connect that to my server… pcie over Ethernet? I know very little about servers.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Hey there, I have one server, it’s only cpu cores and storage. I’d like to do accelerated graphics but I don’t have any pcie lanes (well I have a x8 but i don’t have enough room for a graphics card, it’s only 1u). Could I build another server, put some cards in there and then connect that to my server… pcie over Ethernet? I know very little about servers.
Depends on what the use case is. Do you just want to play games? Run some programs that depend upon a graphics card?

If you have a NVidia card you can use Nvidia GameStreaming. But it means the other server handles both compute and graphics. Check out Moonlight. AMD has Link/ReLive for something similar

If you're looking to use the graphics resources from a remote server over the network for rendering the UI but still use the compute resources on your server - you'd need something like X11 to do this kind of remote/indirect rendering. Your best bet for this kind of setup would be to run Linux on both servers and use an application that was written for X Windows/X11