Foreman - Ubuntu 16.04 - How to logon

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

KioskAdmin

Jan 20, 2015
I installed Foreman based on these forums. It took awhile but I have it working. There's a password field in provisioning for the Root password so I put a password in. The Ubuntu 16.04.1 image got installed. IPMI is showing a black console but I can start SSH to the machine. I'm running into an issue trying to login. I tried admin, root, Root, ubuntu all with that password from provisioning but it isn't working.

How the ____ do I login?

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
By default, many Linux distributions don't allow SSH logins for root. You need to update the sshd.conf file. Normally, I would do that on Proxmox by using the web-based console, or SSH into the host and use the lxc console from there.

KioskAdmin

Jan 20, 2015
Yea but here's the problem, the iKVM console is completely black.

@dicecca112 I didn't make a second account but I was not prompted to in the foreman UI.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
root login via a foreman ubuntu provisioned image 'should/does' work for me out of the box. On the 'New Host' configuration did you specify root password under 'Operating System' tab?

On normal 'hand-built' ubuntu images it does seem that PermitRootLogin needs massaging in the sshd_config file and a service restart/reboot.

EDIT: Dunno why your IPMI is blank as well, pretty sure I have a Bare Metal provision fully working w/ no IPMI woes as well (AKA, I can login via IPMI console pop and interact w/ the server). YMMV.

KioskAdmin

Jan 20, 2015
Thank you for input. I did see that in the provisioning setup there's a user section.

Code:
# User settings
d-i passwd/root-password-crypted password <%= root_pass %>
user-setup-udeb passwd/root-login boolean true
d-i passwd passwd/make-user boolean false
user-setup-udeb passwd/make-user boolean false

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Dunno about that section/config, never seen that. What I do know is that you can set it globally here under Administer -> Settings -> Provisioning tab:

upload_2016-10-26_7-38-13.png

Or here on a per 'New Host' basis under Hosts -> New Host

upload_2016-10-26_7-39-3.png

Reactions: Patrick