Foreman on Docker?!?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I was reading some of @whitey and @Patrick old threads on Foreman and want to give it a try. I'm also doing more Docker (darn STH) and I'm wanting to integrate more Docker into the lab.

I saw foreman-docker which is a provisioning plugin for GitHub - theforeman/foreman-docker: This plugin enables management of Docker containers and images in Foreman

So that's cool right?

Then I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool to have a Foreman provisioning system as a Swarm service where it would just spin up if a host went down? I saw this one docker hub but it seems dated https://hub.docker.com/r/foreman/foreman/

Maybe the issue is the data persistence?

Reactions: gigatexal

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I have not drank the docker/container koolaid all the way just yet but I can say the providers/hooks out to VMware/libvirt (KVM) add a damned nice touch w/ console access and all. Just updated my foreman to 1.13.4 yesterday and solved why CentOS6 provisioning went belly up over on the #theforeman IRC channesl yesterday morning. Pssst, EPEL nuked puppet, least for RHEL6 and it don't look to be coming back, this is the fix.

Either under Hosts -> Operating Systems -> CentOS-6 -> Parameters set:

enable-puppetlabs-repo = true

Else you can also set on Host Group (IE: CentOS-6) named Host Group (again under parameters tab)

Was driving me NUTS on some CentOS6 IB testing I had to do for work. Provisioning was 'the broke' on CentOS 6 prior to fixup as puppet was not avail to register/talk to foreman and looped the PXE installer over and over again if you ignored msg and let installer run.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus and Patrick