For those that received a note from Icy Dock

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi all,

I know a number of you received a personal message from @Icy Tech regarding Icy Dock products. I spoke to someone there today and hopefully will be speaking to the individual tomorrow morning California time.

We had a lot of folks PM me and report the messages. I just wanted to say thank you for bringing this to our attention and will let you know the outcome.

Regards,
Patrick

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
We had a lot of folks PM me and report the messages. I just wanted to say thank you for bringing this to our attention and will let you know the outcome.
I answered their PM with:

I'm not sure what Patrick's (the site owner) views are on "free hardware in exchange for review" posts by users - after all, that's a lot of what his front-page content is. I'd want to check with him first. But I may not be the best reviewer for these, as I'll describe in more detail below. [...]

Reactions: Patriot

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just as a heads up, I spoke with the Icy Dock team today.

They said they were looking to have more product reviewed on STH. I am still not clear on why this happened versus reaching out directly to me or the team. Normally, they just reach out directly to us. Alas, it sounded like we got this cleared up.

Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: William

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just as a heads up, I spoke with the Icy Dock team today.

They said they were looking to have more product reviewed on STH. I am still not clear on why this happened versus reaching out directly to me or the team. Normally, they just reach out directly to us. Alas, it sounded like we got this cleared up.

Sorry for the confusion.
Does this mean we're not all gonna die?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I just ignored em and reported it. I think Icy Dock should now actually make good on their promise of free hardware to everyone that they sent the message to, call it a Christmas present ;) :D

Reactions: Patriot

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I also received a message from him/them, and just ignored it. Seemed to me more likely some type of scam - what vendor ever offers free product out to random forum participants.