For Sale: Intel R2308GZ 2U Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
Sorry it took so long:

1. Imgur noob....
2. It's all in the basement....

Unboxing:

Front:

Internals:

Why it still isn't plugged in:

It is clean inside and out and came with the slim DVD. There are 10 SATA ports on the motherboard, one for each drive bay and two that you can either connect to two SSDs (mount points are identified on the cooling shroud) or one for the DVD and one SSD.

At $509 delivered I'm happy with the deal. It comes with two-three slot risers connected to two PCIE 3.0 x16 slots which, if I read correctly, gives access to two usable x16 and four usable x8 slots. There are also a variety of I/O expansion modules that can be added without impacting the available slots. Also, four built-in NICS and 24 DIMM slots.

Edited to fix imgur links.

Reactions: Fritz and Patrick

theITmart_ak

Jul 23, 2016
Just wanted to follow up with a deal sweetener for Thanksgiving. We have the following mezzanine RAID card for this server: RMS25JB080.

8-port SAS/SATA controller that also supports JBOD mode (which makes this a wonderful option for ZFS or other software defined storage).

Full specs here

$10 for the card alongside the STH special. So, if you decide to get both, its $459 + $10 ($469) plus shipping.

If you already bought the server, I'll send the RAID card for free if you'll just cover shipping. @talsit - I'll cover yours as a thank you for the detailed review :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Reactions: talsit and Patrick

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
These are really nice Systems, i got the same with 12 bays.
I feel Intel handles thermal / power-mgmt a bit better than SM with X9-Boards in cse-826 ...

also like the mounting of two ssd's on the airshroud and the Drive-caddies that can take SFF by simply breaking out parts of the dummy without the need for an adapter at all.

only, but serious drawback, is the need to pay an extra for rmm4 and raid-keys to use all ports.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just wanted to follow up with a deal sweetener for Thanksgiving. We have the following mezzanine RAID card for this server: RMS25JB080.

8-port SAS/SATA controller that also supports JBOD mode (which makes this a wonderful option for ZFS or other software defined storage).

Full specs here

$10 for the card alongside the STH special. So, if you decide to get both, its $459 + $10 ($469) plus shipping.

If you already bought the server, I'll send the RAID card for free if you'll just cover shipping. @talsit - I'll cover yours as a thank you for the detailed review :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
That is awesome! SAS 2308 mezzanine card. Only works in Intel servers like this but is similar to a LSI SAS 9207-8i. If you are doing an All-in-one or ZFS build that makes this a killer deal.

Reactions: talsit

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
if you are getting the hba, make sure you don't have the same problem as this RMS25KB080.

Spun Ducky

Sep 20, 2016
I was wondering if these systems can support 2 rx 480 gpus? I have server and workstation needs but occasionally I like to fire up a few games in 4k.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
Thanks @theITmart_ak!

Thanks @Fritz! That was something I knocked together when a Craigslist rack deal fell through.

@Spun Ducky - I'm not sure about the rx 480. These were Peguin Computing Relion 2800e's which came loaded with GPU's and Phi coprocessors. There is a power connector on the motherboard that passes through power for cards needing more than the 75 watts provided by the PCIE slot. It looks like, with the right cable, it supports two 6 or 8 pin supplemental power connectors. Here is the manual, GPU info is around page 33. In a quick look, that cable isn't included with the server and appears to be proprietary from Intel.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
If it's anything like the P4000M, there should be a SKU for a GPU kit that comes with cables and perhaps some physical support pieces.

niftykc

May 18, 2016
talsit, do you mind commenting on the noise? I know theITmart_ak mentioned before about it being quiet for a 2U, but I was wondering how quiet it really is. I don't plan on running it right next to me, but it might be somewhere close, and if it's like the SuperMicro CS847...

Thanks!

Edit: Just noticed you haven't plugged it in... When you (or someone who ordered this) has a chance, could someone comment on the noise?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have used 3x of the GZ variants and use 3x of the WT (V3/V4) variants to host STH.

So long as they are properly setup they are fairly quiet at low load. If something is wrong, they do blast fans.

Reactions: niftykc

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
@niftykc, it is wedged in the rack and running. Without doing anything other than setting power to performance and fans to acoustic it isn't too bad.

The room it's in is about 80 degrees F and it is about the same sound level as the rest of my 1U and 2U servers.

Reactions: niftykc

niftykc

May 18, 2016
Patrick and talsit, thanks for letting me know. I'm going to put it in my basement, but I usually run stuff in my living room for a few days to make sure it doesn't have any issues. I tried that with the CS847.... That did not go so well with the family...

Thanks again!

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
@warlord1312 I had a DL380 G6, I had to get rid of it because the sound was too loud even with it in the garage.

The noise level on the R2308 isn't as high but it does have a high pitched tonal like the DL380. Right now, the fans are running at full speed and it is still spouse approved.