FlexRAID forum?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
How about a forum specifically for FlexRAID discussion? Since FR is available for linux as well as Windows, it seems wrong to segregate the FR discussion into two or more forums.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I like the idea, a lot. Let me think about this because I have been trying to keep OS and management platform discussions in the OS forum. FlexRAID is probably best in the Server Hardware forum, except that it is clearly not hardware. Anyone have ideas on how this should be implemented?

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Maybe rename Operating Systems to "Storage Platforms" or "Storage Software" or similar.

Then maybe re-org the forums based on how 2011 is likely to shake out in terms of popularity and installed base:

Windows Server, Windows Home Server, Small Business Server

FlexRAID, unRAID

FreeBSD, ZFSGuru, and FreeNAS

Solaris, Nexenta, OpenIndiana, and napp-it

And if you can't live without it, Apple OS X Server, though I predict it being a completely dead forum as far as activity.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What about Linux, OpenFiler, and unRaid being merged? OS X Server I think could be covered by pre-built storage forums that would encompass the Drobos, QNAPs, and etc of the world. FlexRAID I could see moving to its own forum in storage platforms.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
^ Agreed. That way you've got all the linux based stuff in one, and with Flexraid being cross-platform, I think its potential also big enough in terms of popularity for it to have its own. Even though Brahim has his own dedicated flexraid forum, its likely that a Flexraid forum here would have a lot of activity, not to mention Brahim is running antiquated forum software that's cumbersome to use and I'm not sure if he plans on changing it.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Made the changes. Let me know what you think.