FlexLOM IB/EN cards for the HP s6500/s230 $45

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
I received two of these today and pulled off the heatsink to check the chip because I thought they were the Pro version too. The label was "mt27508a1-fccr-f" which google tells me is the normal version but I'd love to be wrong. I think HP just messed up in their docs.

Either way FDR or 56 Gbe at this price is a great deal.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
There are 2 versions the qdr and the fdr the fdr goes 56gb infiniband and 40gbe the fdr is 40gb infiniband and 10gbe. The fdr much more spensive ..

Side note if u need the HP fw disk I have one up to I think 10-2015 has bios ilos the works

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: raileon

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Thanks for the offer DaSaint but I already got my hands on the new disk. I'm hoping the updates should be straightforward but this will be my first HP server.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Side note for the HP Ilo u can Google for a key on each node and it will work however won't if u try to reuse the same key on all nodes in the federated model. U will need the key to do KVM capabilities remotely

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
Side note for the HP Ilo u can Google for a key on each node and it will work however won't if u try to reuse the same key on all nodes in the federated model. U will need the key to do KVM capabilities remotely

I could use the BIOS disc! Have one of the s6500's coming and would like to update fw and get iLO :)

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
I have no idea how you guys managed to get such low offers accepted. I ordered higher quantity and paid more lol

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Wow, nice! Is that really 40G ethernet?
These should be equivalent to the Mellanox ConnectX-3 VPI dual port MCX354A-FCBT. 40G ethernet on regular switches and 56G on mellanox switches with the right license. Won't know for sure until the s6500 gets here.

These are one of the main reasons I was interested in the s6500 deal. =)

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
based on the model number in that ebay link those are the 56Gb IB and 40GBe cards... @raileon you are correct they are VPI based cards however these are QSFP based ports on these cards i dont think there is any nice way to adapt them to normal switch IIR the breakout cables only work in 1 direction QSFP Switch -> 4x 10GBe not the inverse...

HPE Support document - HPE Support Center

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
based on the model number in that ebay link those are the 56Gb IB and 40GBe cards... @raileon you are correct they are VPI based cards however these are QSFP based ports on these cards i dont think there is any nice way to adapt them to normal switch IIR the breakout cables only work in 1 direction QSFP Switch -> 4x 10GBe not the inverse...

HPE Support document - HPE Support Center
I actually have a Mellanox switch so I can do FDR/56G with the regular connectx-3 vpi cards. I'm expecting the same from these. Never tested a qsfp break out and a regular switch, I actually just got delivery of my first one from fibre store yesterday.

themelon

Jan 26, 2016
These cards are definitely new as advertised. All of them were in original HP boxes with matching serial numbers. Hell of a deal.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
These cards are definitely new as advertised. All of them were in original HP boxes with matching serial numbers. Hell of a deal.
Mine came in the same condition.

These prices beat the hell out of the $125 I was paying per refurbished MCX354A-FCBT, and I thought that was cheap. I just hope there are no differences in how they function. At least the latest HPE firmware version for these matches the latest Mellanox firmware, so that's a good sign.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Wait so these I can plug these cards into a 10GbE switch with the right adaptor?

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Wait is this just a 8x pcie slot? Can I just replace the bracket with a different one from my Connectx 2 cards or something and use it in a non HP machine?

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Wait is this just a 8x pcie slot? Can I just replace the bracket with a different one from my Connectx 2 cards or something and use it in a non HP machine?
No, these FlexLOM cards have an HP proprietary pin-out.

I think it was in this forum where a read a horror story of someone that tried doing exactly this. Bought a bunch of these cards and found out the very hard way that they're not compatible with normal pcie. Fried his dell server in the process.