Flashing the LSI2308 on a SuperMicro X10SL7-F motherboard to IT mode: where is firmware version 16?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
It turns out FreeNAS is compatible with version 16 and nothing else. I started with version 15, and FreeNAS complained. I upgraded to version 19, and FreeNAS complained again. So I have to downgrade to version 16, but I can't find it anywhere! Argh!!!

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
v19 and v20 are the ones displayed on the main site. When you click on "archived" you are able to download ver13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... just in case

Reactions: NeverDie

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Here the files are if you still need them.
I looked inside the zip file you provided, but it seems to contain only the utility program for doing the flashing and not the .rom file which it requires as a parameter to flash the firmware to version 16.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
My as yet unresolved question is what address should I use when prompted to "Enter the remaining 9 digits for the SAS address:"

I entered 9 zeros, as I've read some others have done:
9zeros.png

The problem with blindly following the heard though is that I have no idea whether their files lived happily ever after or instead later became unrecoverable because of it.

I wanted to enter the same address as was used when I first got the board:
factory.png
but when I counted the digits (11E30800), there were only 8 of them, not 9.

Here's the screen taken after I entered the 9 zeros and rebooted:
newaddr.png
The first part of the address (50030480) is the same in both cases. However, the 9 zeros (of which only 8 are showing) are definitely not a match for the SAS Address when I was running the board as it came straight from SuperMicro. Does it matter? Should I be concerned?

What have others here done?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
My as yet unresolved question is what address should I use when prompted to "Enter the remaining 9 digits for the SAS address:"
You can find the globally unique SAS address assigned to your device on a sticker on the card (or - in your case - on the MB). Use the last 9 digits from that sticker.

Does it matter? Should I be concerned?
In most cases it doesn't matter. If you have more than one SAS controller on the MB or if you are using dual-ported SAS expanders and have them connected to HBAs from two systems you risk topology errors. But in most home situations you won't run into this so no worries.

Reactions: NeverDie

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
You can find the globally unique SAS address assigned to your device on a sticker on the card (or - in your case - on the MB). Use the last 9 digits from that sticker.

In most cases it doesn't matter. If you have more than one SAS controller on the MB or if you are using dual-ported SAS expanders and have them connected to HBAs from two systems you risk topology errors. But in most home situations you won't run into this so no worries.
OK, so the motherboard does have an SAS sticker on it, and it's the same 16 digits as shown on the factory settings screenshot:
factory.png
i.e. 5003048011E30800
So, I guess I should simply enter 011E30800? I'd just as soon do it know while it's all fresh in mind and be done with it once and for all.

ocalderon1492

Mar 8, 2015
Hi everybody! This is my first post and this forum has been great to find answers.

Just need help accessing the ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/

I am unable to connect to the site, it asks to login as a "Registered User" or as a "Guest". Can someone help get access to the site I just need to download the P16 firmware for my LSI 2308.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Hi everybody! This is my first post and this forum has been great to find answers.

Just need help accessing the ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/

I am unable to connect to the site, it asks to login as a "Registered User" or as a "Guest". Can someone help get access to the site I just need to download the P16 firmware for my LSI 2308.
If you aren't already, try using an ftp program like filezilla.

ocalderon1492

Mar 8, 2015
If you aren't already, try using an ftp program like filezilla.
I've tried and all im getting is this...

Code:
Error:             Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:             Could not connect to server

I just need P16 for LSI 2308

ocalderon1492

Mar 8, 2015
Their site may be having troubles, I have had mixed success even getting to their website the past few days. I'd try again.
Thanks I'll keep trying ftp://ftp.supermicro.com

BTW is it an anonymous login once I am able to connect?

P.S. Does anyone have the P16 firmware for the LSI 2308 they can upload here or share?

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
I've tried and all im getting is this...

Code:
Error:             Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:             Could not connect to server
I tried just now and am getting the same error message. I suggest trying tomorrow when the regular day-crew is back. Otherwise, if you can't wait, earlier in this thread someone posted a link to somewhere on the LSI website.