Flashing Delta 7024 to Dell 8024

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I forgot to add, the PPC chip does have both internal and external memory, I just am wondering if the bootloader and OS are on the external flash, or if the bootloader is internal and the OS external? I am thinking that it is the case.

Cheers,
Kevin

the MPC8533E in the Delta and Dell have no internal memory, the storage is a directly connected NAND IC that stores both the OS and bootloader. It's the standard powerPC "bottom boot" that boots from the last ~1MB of flash. PDF here: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/product-brief/MPC8533EPB.pdf

you really need a JTAG unit designed for newer PPC units that understand how to open (at the minimum) a 1MB window to directly attached NAND. If you're patient you can get ahold of BDI2000's for ~$50

Reactions: klui

kkolasa

Feb 9, 2020
Urjtag will work with the much older mpc82xx series, however the Dell is an mpc85xx (e500 core)
Just an update, I am currently working on building a BSDL file to interface with the processor. I already successfully used by USB blaster to talk to a simpler PPC processor. As soon as I figure out the definition bug in the file, I will supply the file here and instructions on how to get it working with low cost equipment.

Universal JTAG library, server and tools / Discussion / Using UrJTAG: UrJTAG BSDL Compliance for MPC8568 Microprocessor

Cheers,
Kevin

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
Just an update, I am currently working on building a BSDL file to interface with the processor. I already successfully used by USB blaster to talk to a simpler PPC processor. As soon as I figure out the definition bug in the file, I will supply the file here and instructions on how to get it working with low cost equipment.

Universal JTAG library, server and tools / Discussion / Using UrJTAG: UrJTAG BSDL Compliance for MPC8568 Microprocessor

Cheers,
Kevin
how is that work going? i was thinking of picking one up and flashing it to the dell firmware. i already have a powerconnect 8024F at work.

bstock

Jun 19, 2020
Hi, first want to say thanks for this work, I picked up a set of very well priced Delta's from ebay and it's amazing to be able to flash it to the 8024f.

Anyway, I'm wondering if you or anyone else has noticed an issue with the 4 combo ports (21-24). I can't seem to get the SFP+ portion of these working. They light up and show as 'up' on the switch but data just can't seem to flow through them. I did try setting 'media-type sfp' but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also tried using them in trunk, general, and even access mode but nothing seems to work. If I do the exact same config no another port it seems to flow just fine.

I do have 2 of them stacked, and I was originally on the firmware version from the guide but tried updating to firmware 5.1.16.1 with same result.

Definitely not a dealbreaker or anything, even if I lose those 4 ports on each switch it's still worth it to get this setup with Dell firmware to get much more functionality, just wondering if you'd seen this from anyone else. Please let me know your thoughts and I can get you more info if needed.