Flash M1015 to IT mode: error: Firmware Host Boot Failed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jonaskp

Feb 26, 2021
So I just got a M1015 that I will be using with Unraid, so I need to flash it to LSI firmware IT mode.
I followed guides, but ran into some issues, and I have not been able to find a solution to my problem.

The short version:
Whenever I try to flash the card with the new firmware ("2118it.bin"), I get the error:

"Chip is in RESET state. Attempting Host Boot...
ERROR: Firmware Host Boot Failed !"
And then it exits SAS2Flash.

What I have done so far:
I followed guides, but in the beginning I had issues with booting to EFI shell, so I had to try different things. It is most likely during this, that I must have gotten something wrong.
The below steps are what I have done the last many times, in that order.

1. Followed the guide and downloaded files from Techmattr (as multiple posts I found refered to that site). When this failed I have tried other sources as well, without luck.
Updated: SAS HBA crossflashing or flashing to IT mode, Dell Perc H200 and H310

2. Boot the USB to DOS and run:
megarec.exe -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec.exe -cleanflash 0

3. Restart and Boot to EFI Shell (my computer won't work with SAS2Flash in DOS "Failed to initialize PAL"-error)
[EDIT]Erase existing firmware:
sas2flash.efi -o -e -6 : (this was part of the first guide I followed) [/EDIT]

SAS2flash.efi -listall : Shows the card, but no info. ERROR: "Failed to upload image !".
SAS2flash.efi -c 0 -list (details for specific card): Shows:
Controller: SAS2008(??)
PCI address: 00:02:00:00
SAS Address: Undetermined (i have a sticker on the card where the address (I think) is. It reads "500605b 0-04F3-DB90" and then a barcode. Is this the SAS address? And how should I write it when I get that far? "500605B-0-04F3-DB90"? or "500605B004F3DB90"?
NVDATA Version: Undetermined
Firmware version could not be retrieved
BIOS version could not be retrieved

4. Try to flash the card with new firmware.
SAS2Flash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin
This results in the error:

5. I have tried many variations of flashing it and using different firmware (from guides and posts).
- flashing to older firmware: 2118p7.bin (same error) or 6GBPSAS.FW (this one causes the computer to freeze).
- using an older version of SAS2Flash. Often P14 is recommended, but I couldn't find that one. I have tried P05, P15, P16, P17,P19, P20 (same error or freezing).

6. I can still run the megarect commands in DOS, which as far as I have read, should mean that the card is not bricked, and can be saved.

I really hope someone has advice on how I should proceed.
As I said, I have tried to research this, but every guide or forum post I find, lists the solution above (older version first), and that has not helped.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
So I just got a M1015 that I will be using with Unraid, so I need to flash it to LSI firmware IT mode.
I followed guides, but ran into some issues, and I have not been able to find a solution to my problem.

The short version:
Whenever I try to flash the card with the new firmware ("2118it.bin"), I get the error:

And then it exits SAS2Flash.

What I have done so far:
I followed guides, but in the beginning I had issues with booting to EFI shell, so I had to try different things. It is most likely during this, that I must have gotten something wrong.
The below steps are what I have done the last many times, in that order.

1. Followed the guide and downloaded files from Techmattr (as multiple posts I found refered to that site). When this failed I have tried other sources as well, without luck.
Updated: SAS HBA crossflashing or flashing to IT mode, Dell Perc H200 and H310

2. Boot the USB to DOS and run:
megarec.exe -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec.exe -cleanflash 0

3. Restart and Boot to EFI Shell (my computer won't work with SAS2Flash in DOS "Failed to initialize PAL"-error)
[EDIT]Erase existing firmware:
sas2flash.efi -o -e -6 : (this was part of the first guide I followed) [/EDIT]

SAS2flash.efi -listall : Shows the card, but no info. ERROR: "Failed to upload image !".
SAS2flash.efi -c 0 -list (details for specific card): Shows:
Controller: SAS2008(??)
PCI address: 00:02:00:00
SAS Address: Undetermined (i have a sticker on the card where the address (I think) is. It reads "500605b 0-04F3-DB90" and then a barcode. Is this the SAS address? And how should I write it when I get that far? "500605B-0-04F3-DB90"? or "500605B004F3DB90"?
NVDATA Version: Undetermined
Firmware version could not be retrieved
BIOS version could not be retrieved

4. Try to flash the card with new firmware.
SAS2Flash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin
This results in the error:

5. I have tried many variations of flashing it and using different firmware (from guides and posts).
- flashing to older firmware: 2118p7.bin (same error) or 6GBPSAS.FW (this one causes the computer to freeze).
- using an older version of SAS2Flash. Often P14 is recommended, but I couldn't find that one. I have tried P05, P15, P16, P17,P19, P20 (same error or freezing).

6. I can still run the megarect commands in DOS, which as far as I have read, should mean that the card is not bricked, and can be saved.

I really hope someone has advice on how I should proceed.
As I said, I have tried to research this, but every guide or forum post I find, lists the solution above (older version first), and that has not helped.

Thanks in advance.
I am facing the same issue right now, did you solve it by finding an old system to program in?

jonaskp

Feb 26, 2021
Hi.
No, I never solved it.
I bought another card where the seller flashed it, and have running without issues.
The card I write about, is just lying in a drawer...

If you manage to find a solution, I would behappy if you could post it.

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
I solved the issue, I put the card in one of my old dell R510's and it flashed no problem. I think the key is to find something that doesn't have ANY EFI what so ever.

Reactions: Jason Hirsch

jonaskp

Feb 26, 2021
Thanks, I might try that.
I dont have an Old system at the moment, so won’t know when.
Did You do anything special when you flashed it, or just followed a normal guide?

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
Thanks, I might try that.
I dont have an Old system at the moment, so won’t know when.
Did You do anything special when you flashed it, or just followed a normal guide?
Just followed the old guides. I swear UEFI, just messes up everything. I'm sure it's great and I'm using it wrong, but damn.

madbrain

Jan 5, 2019
I solved the issue, I put the card in one of my old dell R510's and it flashed no problem. I think the key is to find something that doesn't have ANY EFI what so ever.
I'm facing the same issue. What OS did you end up using to flash successfully on that old machine ? DOS ?

Unfortunately, all of my home systems now have EFI support in the BIOS. Did booting in CSM mode with legacy mode only OS not work ?

Stefan75

Jan 22, 2018
Switzerland
I think these ways of flashing are all a pain in the..
I prefer using Megaraid Storage Manager for Windows :)
This only works if the card still shows up in Windows of course.

Last edited: