Flash/Crossflash DELL H330 RAID Card to HBA330/12Gbps HBA IT Firmware

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Sleyk
I have waited a lot more on my DELL and couple hours on another PC.
On Dell I am getting stuck on this screen (picture #1) for 15 minutes.
After that I am getting another screen (picture #2)
And that is it my friend.
On another PC the screen is always black whenever you start with H330 inserted and stays black.

H830 has nothing to do with this. I removed it at the beginning after getting fatal error.
I connected h330 directly to the motherboard as well.
I think you should explain in your instructions to check if "'a0" is really H330.
People can damage equipment following your command "megacli -adpfwflash -f smc3108.rom -noverchk -a0"
I have not seen anything regarding removal of another components in your step instruction as well. I probably missed that.
Ok. I understand. Lets work on this. I will help you. I will send you a pm. Lets get your controller working again.

pauska

May 11, 2021
I'm attempting to flash a H330 mono to HBA330 mono, using a FreeDOS ISO with your files on it.

After performing step 4, and rebooting, the adapter uses the 3 minutes and reports "No adapter available", but when the BIOS continues the POST it crashes, with the attached message. What am I going to do? I've tried a full power cycle but no help.

Attachments

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
I'm attempting to flash a H330 mono to HBA330 mono, using a FreeDOS ISO with your files on it.

After performing step 4, and rebooting, the adapter uses the 3 minutes and reports "No adapter available", but when the BIOS continues the POST it crashes, with the attached message. What am I going to do? I've tried a full power cycle but no help.
Ok seems like you also have a similar problem my friend. Will send you a pm with some things to try.

woocaash

May 8, 2021
I think I was able to cover pin 5 and pin 6 with a tape successfully. I got 3m tape with strong adhesive. I had to fold and bend the tape at the bottom to the other side a little bit so when inserting the pcie card tape doesn't come off.

But it did not help...
Everything is exactly the same.

Sleyk Thank you for your help.

Reactions: Sleyk

Markess

May 19, 2018
@Sleyk ! Thanks for the amazing guide my friend. I'd flashed an actual LSI SAS3008 before, but flashing an HBA330 would have been beyond me without your guide!

And while I'm at it, thanks also for the excellent visual guide to the different models. Sure helped me to know what I was looking at when Ebay shopping!

Last edited:

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
@Sleyk ! Thanks for the amazing guide my friend. I'd flashed an actual LSI SAS3008 before, but flashing an HBA330 would have been beyond me without your guide!

And while I'm at it, thanks also for the excellent visual guide to the different models. Sure helped me to know what I was looking at when Ebay shopping!
Sure thing my friend! Glad all is working well!

I'm a little sad though, since these cards have gotten so expensive lately. Nonetheless, Im happy you could use those pics! :.)

Reactions: Markess

woocaash

May 8, 2021
I would like to thank Sleyk publicly. He fixed my problem faster than Dell Enterprise Service Center. He was so kind and helpful that he shipped another h330 card to me with a proper firmware and took care of my card. He was able to finish the flash without problems. I think it deserves applause. Thank you Sleyk. You are very good guy.

Reactions: Sleyk and pauska

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
I would like to thank Sleyk publicly. He fixed my problem faster than Dell Enterprise Service Center. He was so kind and helpful that he shipped another h330 card to me with a proper firmware and took care of my card. He was able to finish the flash without problems. I think it deserves applause. Thank you Sleyk. You are very good guy.
Thanks my friend! Glad I was able to help! :.)

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
This is going to sound juvenile, but do you have to have a Dell server motherboard to flash the Dell cards, or can any motherboard* recognize the card to proceed with the flashing process?

*Obviously no guarantees "EVERY" motherboard can recognize it

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
This is going to sound juvenile, but do you have to have a Dell server motherboard to flash the Dell cards, or can any motherboard* recognize the card to proceed with the flashing process?

*Obviously no guarantees "EVERY" motherboard can recognize it
No worries my friend, your question isnt a bad one :.)

For all the Mini Mono and Mini Blade cards, you need a Dell server board, since they are proprietary slots, but for the PCI-E adapter cards, you can flash with any board that sees your card :.)

xlucam

May 31, 2021
Success!

(Big Thanks to BLinux for the Inspiration!)

So I initially had a super long write-up, but that's way too long, you just need the compact steps.

This is to flash a Dell H330 Raid card to a Dell HBA330/12Gbps card with Dell HBA IT firmware.

All 3 types of cards are flashable. (H330 Adapter, H330 Mini Mono, and H330 Mini Blade)

This method will NOT work to flash an H730/H730P/H830 card with a true RAID chipset. Please don't attempt this on any card with a 3108 chipset!

I linked the full write-up at the end of the compact steps for further reading. :.)

Have fun!
hello Sleyk, i've one question ; is it possible to switch Perc H330 from raid mode to HBA mode with process provided by Dell, in your opinion ? Or this maybe causes some problems with Proxmox ZFS mode? is your way most wright in this case ?

link : Dell EMC PowerEdge RAID Controller 9 User’s Guide H330, H730, and H830 | Dell Italia

thanks in advance for your reply :]

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
hello Sleyk, i've one question ; is it possible to switch Perc H330 from raid mode to HBA mode with process provided by Dell, in your opinion ? Or this maybe causes some problems with Proxmox ZFS mode? is your way most wright in this case ?

link : Dell EMC PowerEdge RAID Controller 9 User’s Guide H330, H730, and H830 | Dell Italia

thanks in advance for your reply :]
Hi there, Yes sir, it is much better to convert to a full HBA330 from an h330. You increase your queue depth and have other benefits.

For those who may want to use the Dell proprietary RAID rom, you can use the hba mode on the card, but it is notoriously slow and is riddled with problems. Just search "h330 mini mono performance" on google.

Also Proxmox and other virtualization software prefers full passthrough for your drives, whereas the proprietary rom in "hba mode" might work, but you can run into some problems with performance.

Plus, why not utilize the card for what it can truly do? The proprietary rom purposefully limits the h330 because it forces it to do RAID calculations that the chipset was never meant to perform. The H330 is a passthrough IT mode LSI chipset, the SAS3008. It shines as a passthrough chipset, not as a fake-raid cpu. This is why H330 cards have poor performance.

Converting to its rightful state, an HBA330 is best, as the chipset can function as intended by LSI. :.)

Hope this help my friend!

Reactions: itronin

karpovich87

May 31, 2021
Hi friends.
I did everything according to the instructions and stitched my HBA330 mini. Dell r730xd server. Everything worked, but all disks are not displayed in the Windows system. At the same time, these disks are in the BIOS and the device manager.
Dell's support site raised this issue. However, Dell must provide a hotfix file to resolve it. Since the server is no longer under warranty, I am guaranteed to be denied help.
Help solve the problem.

Attachments

little_big_b

Jun 8, 2021
Yes, there was success in getting the Lenovo 530-8i to take the LSI SAS3408 IT mode firmware. There are actually 2 versions of the firmware, one that is SAS/SATA only, and the other is the "Tri-Mode"... which I have not tried before and heard that it requires some special SFF-8643 cable to connect to NVMe. So, other than flashing the "tri-mode" firmware, I actually haven't tried it with NVMe.

The H330 is great option for SAS3008 alternative, but I think different from SAS3408; totally different RoC/IoC architecture. I'm on the hunt for one of the H330 variants you listed to try this out...
Hey guys..

Did that and confirm that a crossflashed 530-8i can be used with NVMe SSDs. Flashed it to P19 9400-8i HBA fw and use the f***ing expensive LSI U.2 enable cable. It sees my two Samsung PM983. Did not tested the performance, because I need it to raid them together. Thats why I'm still looking for a way to flash 9440-8i Firmware. Unfortunately, it does not accept the firmware (invalid checksum). :-(

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Hi friends.
I did everything according to the instructions and stitched my HBA330 mini. Dell r730xd server. Everything worked, but all disks are not displayed in the Windows system. At the same time, these disks are in the BIOS and the device manager.
Dell's support site raised this issue. However, Dell must provide a hotfix file to resolve it. Since the server is no longer under warranty, I am guaranteed to be denied help.
Help solve the problem.
Hey there my friend, please make sure you flashed the correct type of firmware: hba330 mini mono firmware for mini mono and mini blade cards and adapter firmware for pci-e adapters only :.)

Thats my first thought!

If you did flash the wrong firmware, then just do a full erase (sas3flash -o -e 7) and reflash with mini mono firmware.

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Hey guys..

Did that and confirm that a crossflashed 530-8i can be used with NVMe SSDs. Flashed it to P19 9400-8i HBA fw and use the f***ing expensive LSI U.2 enable cable. It sees my two Samsung PM983. Did not tested the performance, because I need it to raid them together. Thats why I'm still looking for a way to flash 9440-8i Firmware. Unfortunately, it does not accept the firmware (invalid checksum). :-(
These newer controllers have some new protections on them and Avago/Broadcom has made it more difficult to flash/crossflash to different vendors. For now, we are somewhat limited. They seemingly want to do away with the original sas flashing utility and make us only use the new stuff that almost entirely prevents crossflashing.

We'll see. We have to wait to see whats happening, as they go to full 4th gen. Right now all the "interim gen" cards (SAS 3.5) dont seem to have a fixed way to flash besides the 530-8i. I am currently working on the Dell variant, so that can change soon :.)

Last edited:

Micro

Oct 20, 2019
I've run into something I've not seen before in trying to flash my H330. Everything stated smoothly and I've completed through step 6 and am now at the point where Megarec3 (in FreeDos) needs to write all 0's to the flash.
When FreeDos tries to let Megarec3 write I get a "DOS/32 fatal0007, could not enable A20 line". I tried Dos 6.22 and Dos 7.1 in place of FreeDos with the same error/results.
My bios has an entry "Gate A20 Active" with 2 choices, "Always" and "Upon Request", and I have tried both settings and it makes no difference, always "could not enable A20 line".
It does take the card 6 minutes to enumerate with the option rom enabled on that slot and 3 minutes if the option rom on that slot is disabled.
The board is an Asus WS C621E SAGE running 2-8260L's with 48gb of memory being used as a workstation/server running up to date Windows 10.
I do not have any other server or workstation to try this on (only laptops and minis here), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
I've run into something I've not seen before in trying to flash my H330. Everything stated smoothly and I've completed through step 6 and am now at the point where Megarec3 (in FreeDos) needs to write all 0's to the flash.
When FreeDos tries to let Megarec3 write I get a "DOS/32 fatal0007, could not enable A20 line". I tried Dos 6.22 and Dos 7.1 in place of FreeDos with the same error/results.
My bios has an entry "Gate A20 Active" with 2 choices, "Always" and "Upon Request", and I have tried both settings and it makes no difference, always "could not enable A20 line".
It does take the card 6 minutes to enumerate with the option rom enabled on that slot and 3 minutes if the option rom on that slot is disabled.
The board is an Asus WS C621E SAGE running 2-8260L's with 48gb of memory being used as a workstation/server running up to date Windows 10.
I do not have any other server or workstation to try this on (only laptops and minis here), so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I ended up jumping to UEFI Shell to do this step, I think. I forget how it went down, but the UEFI will lock the controller and not show it to FreeDos in a way it can write to it.

I went through hours of frustration trying to figure this out. I wish I had documented my solution. Something else I tried was using an old system that didn't have UEFI. In the end, I recall my solution required NOT copying OP's entire folder over, because it will overwrite command.sys or other FreeDos config files, or consider using uefi shell. I regret I didn't write it down for others.

Micro

Oct 20, 2019
I ended up jumping to UEFI Shell to do this step, I think. I forget how it went down, but the UEFI will lock the controller and not show it to FreeDos in a way it can write to it.

I went through hours of frustration trying to figure this out. I wish I had documented my solution. Something else I tried was using an old system that didn't have UEFI. In the end, I recall my solution required NOT copying OP's entire folder over, because it will overwrite command.sys or other FreeDos config files, or consider using uefi shell. I regret I didn't write it down for others.
As I said, I don't have access to any other systems that will accept the card.
So unless someone else has a solution to the FreeDos "DOS/32 fatal 0007, could not enable A20 line" error, or a way to do the Megarec steps in the UEFI shell, then this H330 is a brick.

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
As I said, I don't have access to any other systems that will accept the card.
So unless someone else has a solution to the FreeDos "DOS/32 fatal 0007, could not enable A20 line" error, or a way to do the Megarec steps in the UEFI shell, then this H330 is a brick.
Hi my friend, sorry to hear that you had problems with this. Lets see. I think a Dos error is due to a lack of the file Dos32gw.exe I believe.

Here's the files. Copy these two files to your flash drive and see if Megarec3 works now :.)

If not, let me know. There are a few things we can try.

Attachments