First pfSense Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Absolutely sure that you just need the 4-pins (or the two systems I have running are an anomaly).

I have them in SM CSE-e300 chassis and the connector was included with the chassis. Note that newer e300 chassis are delivered with an 8-pin connector. Unfortunately I don’t have a link to the cable.
Thank you VERY much for confirming 4-pin will work. It's kind of frustrating that the mobo manual wouldn't provide this sort of useful info.

As for the P4 to DC cable, the only one I've found so far is here.

Any advice on power bricks? The SM branded ones seem very pricey but it also sounds like some of the cheaper ones are downright dangerous for the loads they are powering.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Pretty much any 12v brick with a barrel that matches your connect will do. The ones mini-box sells down lower on that same listing are usually pretty good - they are the people who make the PicoPSU, after all. Otherwise you can usually look on eBay for a used HP/Dell branded brick and get something of good quality. Just watch out of the really cheap ones listed as “HP Compatible” or “Dell Compatible”.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Pretty much any 12v brick with a barrel that matches your connect will do. The ones mini-box sells down lower on that same listing are usually pretty good - they are the people who make the PicoPSU, after all. Otherwise you can usually look on eBay for a used HP/Dell branded brick and get something of good quality. Just watch out of the really cheap ones listed as “HP Compatible” or “Dell Compatible”.
OK, that's reassuring to know. I remember the Mini-Box guys being pretty good years ago. However, I was a bit concerned when I saw their bricks were so low priced and the ones they placed on Amazon had iffy reviews. I was also surprised their online store isn't HTTPS -- kinda surprising in this day and age. I guess I can work around that by paying via PayPal. Thanks again!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Good engineers running their own eCommerce site. Good at building stuff, maybe less so at the web tools.

Didn’t notice the reviews on their bricks. Maybe they’ve gone cheap due to the shrinking demand for their main product line? More and more of their target market for PicoPSU are shipping with direct 12v inputs - and then there is the pressure they get from knock-off products.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Good points. I guess we'll find out. I ordered an 84W adapter from their site and I'll report back if I see any issues. Thanks again!