First Homelab Setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jolness

May 25, 2020
Build’s Name: Homelab to migrate from Off the shelf NAS and have main machine be strictly for gaming/fun
Operating System/ Storage Platform: FreeNAS, (running on ESXi eventually for hardware transcoding on Plex under ubuntu or windows)
CPU: 1x 2660v3 (2nd on the way)
Motherboard: SuperMicro X10DRL-i
Chassis: Fractal Design Define R5
Drives: Pioneer SL3N-480 SSD for boot volume (Waiting for WD External 10 or 12 TB to go on sale)
RAM: 64GB of ECC in 16Gb Samsung M393A2G40DB0- PC4-17000 Modules
Add-in Cards: Quadro P2000, looking for an HBA with ESXi 7.0 passthrough support
Power Supply: 750w PC Power & Cooling
Other Bits: Several 140mm Noctuas and an NH-U12DX-i4 cooler for each Xeon

Mainly going to be a media server but will be used as a build server for C as I am learning that currently.
ESXi is going to be the steepest learning curve as I have zero experience but should be a fun learning experience.

Love the site, the content and am thrilled to have this as a resource available to me. Currently working through removing the micrcode that "fixed" the all core turbo boost as the noctuas are more than sufficient for cooling even running Intel Burn Test on maximum settings I only see about 52-53* on all cores (well binned silicon is awesome!)