First boot of Supermicro motherboard without a monitor

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

captain_fail

Dec 8, 2015
Noob here. I'm staring at the manual for my shiny new SM X11SSH-F along with the IPMI manual, and trying to plan out what will happen when the rest of my parts arrive and I assemble the new system. One of the main reasons I went server class is for remote management with IPMI using the AST2400.

The first thing the IPMI manual tells you to do is to enter the BIOS to configure the IPMI NIC. Ok well this is a bit of a Catch-22... how do I get into the BIOS in the first place?

What I am hoping I can do when I'm ready to turn on the power for the first time is to plug in the IPMI LAN port to my router, turn on power, then look for a DHCP request on my LAN, find the newly assigned address, and then hit it up in my browser. At that point I log into IPMI using default settings, and from there I can reboot and enter BIOS. Does it work like this? Please tell me I don't need to have a monitor to do the initial setup!

Any links to helpful docs or websites I should read would also be appreciated!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
If it's new it should come out of the box with IPMI set to dhhcp, the default user/password of admin/ADMIN (on some boards username might be all caps too). From there it's pretty easy to puzzle out.

Reactions: captain_fail

captain_fail

Dec 8, 2015
If it's new it should come out of the box with IPMI set to dhhcp, the default user/password of admin/ADMIN (on some boards username might be all caps too). From there it's pretty easy to puzzle out.
Very cool, I was hoping this would be the case. Thanks!