Firmware I can install on LSI 9207-8e that will allow spindown to pass from windows? (Solved)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klepp0906

Feb 10, 2022
So ive been in a flurry of consuming knowledge, receiving packages, and assembling my first DAS. Things have finally slowed down and I'm now starting to set up the drivepool and get things going on the software side. I happened to do some rough math to find out what this was going to cost me to run per month 24 hours a day in a perpetual spinning state (as its fully loaded) and oooooof.

Between that and the heat i'd like to get my spindown back. Unfortunately im green as grass with this enterprise stuff and best I could glean was that it was disabled for IT mode some time ago?

Do i have options?

kapone

May 23, 2015
There's no firmware mods/update required for spin down to work. You should update to the latest firmware for your card as such, but not for the stated reasons.

It's a simple Registry mod, but you need to know the PCI codes and GUID for the driver in your install.

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0087&SUBSYS_30301000&REV_05\4&3729ec9a&0&0008\Device Parameters\StorPort]
"EnableIdlePowerManagement"=dword:00000001
If you don't have too many cards installed in your system, just navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI and start looking at each node there. You'll find the LSI driver there.

Replace the IDs in the above reg code, import using Registry Editor, reboot. ta da!

klepp0906

Feb 10, 2022
There's no firmware mods/update required for spin down to work. You should update to the latest firmware for your card as such, but not for the stated reasons.

It's a simple Registry mod, but you need to know the PCI codes and GUID for the driver in your install.

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0087&SUBSYS_30301000&REV_05\4&3729ec9a&0&0008\Device Parameters\StorPort]
"EnableIdlePowerManagement"=dword:00000001
If you don't have too many cards installed in your system, just navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI and start looking at each node there. You'll find the LSI driver there.

Replace the IDs in the above reg code, import using Registry Editor, reboot. ta da!
this was the first thing I did. you can get the ID straight from device manager no need to go digging through the registry. Unfortunately it didnt work. not sure if its constrained to model, or OS or what but nothing spun down for me. I set the spindown to 1m and let it sit overnight. came back in the morning and everything was still zipping along :(

1645744449744.png

klepp0906

Feb 10, 2022
do any of these firmwares look to be "not" right or "not" the latest for a 9207-8e? maybe "something" in there is holding me back. I dont think its flashed with UEFI for starters as I get no boot screen unless I enable CSM. I just dont want to get into this whole hot mess until i know what im doing. so many firmwares, so many models etc. crossflashing. confusing.

1645792384513.png

klepp0906

Feb 10, 2022
yea just downloaded them all off of broadcom's site and flashed and theyre the same. no spindown. no idea :(

klepp0906

Feb 10, 2022
solved'ish.

it appears if i set the sleep timer to 1m and close everything and disable a bunch of services it will sleep them. so something is keeping them perpetually awake within the default 20m window.

kapone

May 23, 2015
solved'ish.

it appears if i set the sleep timer to 1m and close everything and disable a bunch of services it will sleep them. so something is keeping them perpetually awake within the default 20m window.
1. Never test with a 1m sleep timeout. Try 5m.
2. Yup. Something's keeping them awake. Time to start debugging and disabling things until you find the culprit. Process of elimination. The usual culprits are Windows Defender, SMART, having a swap file on that drive, etc.

klepp0906

Feb 10, 2022
1. Never test with a 1m sleep timeout. Try 5m.
2. Yup. Something's keeping them awake. Time to start debugging and disabling things until you find the culprit. Process of elimination. The usual culprits are Windows Defender, SMART, having a swap file on that drive, etc.
yea i was just trying to get a quick idea if they were actually sleeping. now that i know they are, im relieved. and like you said, now starts the process of elimination. doesnt help i just installed the stablebit suite and primocache. i know when they were all "not" connected through an hba they slept fine, but those guys werent on my pc either. So id venture one of them likely has something to do with it.

procmon to the rescue, probably.