Firmware Enterprise SSDs - SM1625, PM853T, and others

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jim777

Aug 4, 2016
The purpose of this thread is create a place where people can get firmware for OEM SSD drives bought on gray market like eBay. I call eBay gray market because real OEM vendors generally don't sell SSDs on eBay. And if you buy OEM SSD on eBay you will have hard time to get firmware updates.

Please upload or post links to firmware updates for the following drives and please add other OEM models from other manufacturers and post firmware if available.

Samsung SM1625 - 400GB - 7 PetaBytes Endurance (OEM NetApp)
Samsung SM843T - 480GB - 9.6 PetaBytes Endurance (OEM HP, DELL)
Samsung PM853T - 480GB - 1.4 PetaBytes Endurance (OEM HP, DELL)
Samsung PM863 - 480GB - 0.7 PetaBytes Endurance (OEM)
Samsung SM863 - 480GB - 3 PetaBytes Endurance (OEM)
Samsung PM1633 - 480GB - 0.8 PetaBytes Endurance (OEM)
Samsung SM1635 - 400GB - 7 PetaBytes Endurance (OEM)
Micron P400m - 400GB - 7 PetaBytes Endurance (OEM Cisco)

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Samsung PM1633 & SM1635 ?? PM863 maybe ?
So HP EOM, like the ones you mentioned other than throwing the in a HP box and using the update tools what options are there ?

What I also mean to ask is let's say I have access to HP firmware is there a way to apply it in a non HP server ?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
That would be interesting - for the HP branded Intel P3xxx NVMe series as well;)

jim777

Aug 4, 2016
Samsung PM1633 & SM1635 ?? PM863 maybe ?
So HP EOM, like the ones you mentioned other than throwing the in a HP box and using the update tools what options are there ?

What I also mean to ask is let's say I have access to HP firmware is there a way to apply it in a non HP server ?
I added the drives that you suggested to the list.

Yes, it is possible to flash HP firmware without HP enclosure however it requires factory production firmware update software. Most manufacturers make the same hardware and sell it to variety of OEMs with different firmware. However getting hands on factory flashing software will be difficult.

For example I just got my hands on factory flashing software for Supermicro 3108 mezanine RAID controller and it will flash dead controllers that got corrupted during firmware update. However the end user software for the same 3108 card won't flash bricked cards.

The flashing software looks for certain data markers such as firmware version, serial number etc. and them if these numbers match the list of compatible devices the software begins flashing. It is possible to hack firmware flashing software and allow it to flash non-OEM SSDs which are not on the list.

And Yes, many OEM SSDs can be used in other systems not specified by the manufacturer. For example I'm using Cisco P400m SSDs (made by Micron) drives in Supermicro servers and they work fine.

Some OEM drives have the same firmware as the main line production but only different OEM name and serial number.

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The issue is not how to get say the HP firmware, it's how to apply it in a white box system.
Ideal would be to find a way to write the generic Samsung firmware to an OEM drive.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I searched and could not find any examples... not like I could not dig up a small size SSD to try but seems awfully complicated.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I have a thrashed m600 that I have been wanting to crossflash using these methods... I know it's possible to force flash down the sgs path... just never crossflashed a ssd. The M600 has been thrashed and is twitching, only writes at 30MB/s ... so no loss if it dies.

Reactions: Evan

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
are you wanting these manufactures (HP) firmware's or do u also want native OE stuff too? like i have some SM1625 100GB and 843T 480 Native samsung drives

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I assume the issue is how to write it more than obtaining the files, I have the latest HP firmware (and actually for HP drives I just throw them in a HP box to update if needed) but if not in a HP box it's next to impossible to write either the HP firmware or the standard Samsung/Intel

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I assume the issue is how to write it more than obtaining the files, I have the latest HP firmware (and actually for HP drives I just throw them in a HP box to update if needed) but if not in a HP box it's next to impossible to write either the HP firmware or the standard Samsung/Intel
that is where the write buffer comes in... hmmm, might try on a 160gb drive first then the m600 lol... if it works and I resurrect the m600.... its actually worth something.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
If you can get it to work I have some small pm863 256gb or something I can live with if I destroy , sure prefer not to0 but could...
Always heaps of crap consumer ssd around for testing the process but at the end of the day somebody needs to take a HP/Dell SSD and try writing stock firmware, on big drives that's a fair risk :-O

Paladin

Sep 26, 2016
I have a bunch of SM1625 drives, taken from a NetApp storage array and reformated to 512b. The problem is that they fail in every raid array, tried on different controllers. Someday I will hopefully find a stock Samsung firmware :)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I have a bunch of SM1625 drives, taken from a NetApp storage array and reformated to 512b. The problem is that they fail in every raid array, tried on different controllers. Someday I will hopefully find a stock Samsung firmware :)
That's certainly harder since the drive was not available direct from Samsung like other drives as far as I know, did HP or Dell or somebody else use them ? Maybe use that firmware.

Paladin

Sep 26, 2016
On of them has an IBM sticker with IBM's FRU, but I didn' have any luck finding anything for now. I have bought a dual sas enclosure, hopefully they will work well with freenas