Firewall Solution with nice Live packet filter view?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm looking for an inexpensive firewall solution that has a nice live packet filter log view similar to Sophos UTM.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
How much throughput is needed?
I'm not looking for a hardware recommendation. I'm looking for a software recommendation that I can throw on any piece of hardware I deem necessary for my use case.

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
May be a dumb question but, if you like the Sophos view, is Sophos XG on your short list? The Home version is still free. You looking for business or personal use?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
May be a dumb question but, if you like the Sophos view, is Sophos XG on your short list? The Home version is still free. You looking for business or personal use?
XG limits you to 4 cores and 6GB of RAM. I'll need more power than that for Gigabit VPN and IPS.

It most certainly is not. I have that now. I cant stand the log view. It does not allow real time filtering.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Sophos XG won’t do 1G vpn with 4 fast cores ?
Would have been my suggestion, outside if that you could span port and use a dedicated stream processor to look.

I guess all else that is left would be exotic hardware solutions.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Sophos XG won’t do 1G vpn with 4 fast cores ?
Would have been my suggestion, outside if that you could span port and use a dedicated stream processor to look.

I guess all else that is left would be exotic hardware solutions.
I'm sure it would be I'd need high clock speeds and thus high heat/noise output.

I also haven't been able to find any screenshots of the XG live packet filter log. Is it as good as the UTM live log?

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
I run Sophos XG Home at home on a 1 GBPs internet connection and I can confirm that IPS on definitely allows full Gbps. I haven’t tried a speed test on the VPN but I’ve never had any speed issues using it. It’s running on a Dell Poweredge R230, 240 GB SSD, 8GB RAM and an E3-1220 v5. It's true the server wouldn't be considered quiet but to get the full Gbps with IPS enabled, you'll need the high clock speeds (Sophos still uses Snort for IPS so...single threaded).

Attachments

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I run Sophos XG Home at home on a 1 GBPs internet connection and I can confirm that IPS on definitely allows full Gbps. I haven’t tried a speed test on the VPN but I’ve never had any speed issues using it. It’s running on a Dell Poweredge R230, 240 GB SSD, 8GB RAM and an E3-1220 v5. It's true the server wouldn't be considered quiet but to get the full Gbps with IPS enabled, you'll need the high clock speeds (Sophos still uses Snort for IPS so...single threaded).
Thank you for the info and screen shot. Can you put a filter on and it will still auto scroll/update live?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yeah a nice e3 would be what I would use for high performance cores in this case, I don’t own any but the idle really low so even if using a bit being busy it may even out as still a cheap solution.